hemochromatosis

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christos57

Chris
Reaction score
About 7 years ago I had an assignment that had me in Sydney for a week this being in early December I thought it was great and better than the other options available to me at the time. Well I was at the airport at 6 am and on site by 8 am all good, by midday I started to feel ill
after the week in Sydney I went home and was off work for for 4 months until the doctors found out what was wrong, most of the time I was off work I slept 20 hours a day. Well they found out I have hemochromatosis, which to put it simply is my bodys inability to regulate the uptake of Iron so I had Iron overload, this causing chronic fatigue, I had several venesections ( drained a little blood) and I felt like I was 16 again.

Now you ask what has this to do with metal detecting, while I was out the other day with my new sdc 2300 I found that if passed my left hand over the coil I would get a signal I tried this quite a few times, I washed my hands checked my shirt all ok so I called over a detecting mate to try it he was fine, so I put this down to the iron in my body, but strangely my right hand seemed ok.

Just shows how sensitive the new machines are

Also tells me I should now go give blood
Also tells me if have enough time to write this I should be out detecting

Cheers
Chris

Christos that is very interesting. My father could never where a wrist watch due to some type of magnetism in his arms. The watch would stop working after he wore it for just a few minutes.
Mackka

It is possible with extreme haemochromatosis to set off metal detectors but it might possibly be the mineral salts in your skin too. My GMT used to signal on my bare hands all the time & I have had occasional faint signals on the SDC but they were from mineral salts (sweat) not haemochromatosis. My Uncle has it & as you would know I had to get tested for it being hereditary & was negative.
The GMT manual even talks about the false signals created by the skins mineral salts on page 21.
Not saying it's not the haemochromatosis in your case but it can be a fairly common phenomenon in high frequency or sensitive machines.

We be like plants,... can't take up iron if we havnt enough copper,.. mrs silver used to have bad periods and was anemic due to low iron,... we got pills for your eyes that have the highest allowable copper content,.. and dadah,.. no more bad periods and iron content (ANEMIA) all better. :D

Latest posts