Second medical advice advisable.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October 2022 I presented myself to Rockingham Hospital with worrying chest pain. Diagnosis was minor heart attack.
Waited 4 days to be transferred to either St Johns or Fiona Stanley.
Five days in Fiona after a stent was fitted. (Should have been allowed home a day after procedure0
I suffered severe night sweats and the diagnosis was alcohol withdrawal because of my sometimes daily 750mil of beer. Was administered a Vitamin B drip to counter act.
My daughter picked up om my chart that I had pneumonia symptoms? Further checks, this serious symptom had been overlooked and the appropriate treatment was commenced.
Home with 6 medications to be taken daily for 12 months. Several follow ups by hospital cardiologist over next 6 months.
9 months of continuing fatigue, tiredness and lethargy prompted my GP to hook me up to a "Holter" device to monitor my heart function over a 24 hour period (beginning of August).
I was to carry on normal daily work/play activities.
My heart rate dropped at times to 45 beats/minute during this time and never above 74.
This prompted my GP to halve the daily medication and to present for a follow up in two weeks time.
It never ceases to amaze me that side effects of many medications can actually be fatal.
Yes always get a second third and sometimes fourth opinion. I went three weeks with a burst appendix and could have died because multiple doctors told me I just had some gastro. My wife and I went to the doctors a few times over the last few years about my wifes on and off nausea she would get every few weeks and was told it could be a stomach problem or hormonal. Turns out it was the early signs of colon and then liver cancer. Friend of ours just completed 10 years of medication for Parkinsons and turns out it wasn't Parkinsons. So yes get anouther opinion.

Good that you got it early Andy. Best to take that as a warning, we don't live forever. I've just got off the phone to a friend who'd love to retire but just can't manage to take that next step. We retired poor financially and several people said "just work another five years and you can retire comfortably". My answer was "I've just worked the last five years and we still have debts so five more isn't likely to change much".

We managed by having a "C" change. We sold in Capel $380,000 and bought in Cue "100,000. That $280,000, $250,000 after expenses, was the difference between working on and retirement. Not a very difficult decision to make if you want change and do the maths.
Hello Phill we also had a seachange and sold the hobby farm (13.5 acres) in Esperance as the approach of 70 years of age we were finding it to hard to mow and look after, also we had no wish to finish up in Perth as to hurley burley and we hate freeways, always getting lost, we settled on Geraldton as we had lived in the Pilbara throughout the 70s and 80s mainly because after taking up detecting we found more of the yellow stuff up there and being approx 1200 kms closer to home and also cheaper housing we now live 150m from the beach, serves a two fold, summer is warmer as is winter, fishing is great, lots of crayfish and our favourite fish is whiting, and now its a bit over a leasurely day and bit to the whim creek area where we go to, sad to say the medical facilitys at Esperance left quite a bit to be desired and here in Gero its excellent, more so now with dragons diagnosis.
we are off to Perth this friday for her operation, the diagnosis is not good but we are hopefull of no cancer in here Lymph nodes if so no Chemo, thank god for good doctors here and the Geraldton Cancer unit, they are the bomb. Anyways i read your report and we to had money left over as being self employed the last 20 odd years i had no super so now our savings looks good for now, plus we have 2 6000s which we would not have been able to buy previousley.

Just a thought...
The context of that somewhat misused quote?
Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. But to eat when you are sick, is to feed your sickness. Each of the substances of a man’s diet acts upon his body and changes it in some way and upon these changes his whole life depends.​
“All disease starts in the gut. If you are not your own doctor, you are a fool.”
Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against Nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear. Disease is not an entity, but a fluctuating condition of the patient’s body, a battle between the substance of disease and the natural self-healing tendency of the body.​

And this one also from Hippocrates:
"The patient must combat the disease along with the physician."
— Hippocrates

Another thought:
"He Who Acts as His Own Doctor Has a Fool for a Patient"
- Sir William Osler FRS, FRCP

IMO most men, including myself, are too commonly guilty of not seeing their GP's often enough - "she'll be right".
Just last week a workmate had told me he couldn't convince his brother to see the Doc. This week he's organising a funeral. ☹️

Should have tried to follow an early relative with my childhood dream.
Charles Rob - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rob
Good read, I like the quote on wiki
Apart from his medical innovations, he has been remembered for his saying on the treatment of a gangrenous limb: "The best treatment for the condition is rest. The best way to rest is sleep. The best way to get sleep is to relieve pain, and the best way to relieve pain is to give whiskey."

Are you related?

Good read, I like the quote on wiki
Apart from his medical innovations, he has been remembered for his saying on the treatment of a gangrenous limb: "The best treatment for the condition is rest. The best way to rest is sleep. The best way to get sleep is to relieve pain, and the best way to relieve pain is to give whiskey."

Are you related?
Yes, My Grandfathers, brothers son.
First cousin, once removed.

Latest posts