help what are these 2 items Gold an meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 items I would appreciate any help to help me ID these items

the first is a hope is a 2.6grammer found with my SDC2300 , problem is it looks like it is incrusted with iron oxide or something , it is non magnetic , I tried to clean it overnight in white vinegar and salt , but does not seem to be able to remove the over crust, I have a small die grinder with a carbide burr on it and is seems to show a gold color beneath surface , which leaves me to 2 conclusions it is either gold , or brass, never found brass in this form before ! , the other piece looks like a little meteorite , a little smaller than a 20c piece , looks like molten metal , quite light in size , found about 300mm deep in the ground strange piece
1432513786_gold_1.jpg
1432513830_gold_6.jpg

:cool:

Hi mate,

Not sure on the bottom one but that top one is quite possibly a great little nugget. Gold can be found completely encased in ironstone and the fact that it shows yellow underneath is a clear indicator to me. I reckon the only way to clean it off is bath it in acid....try battery acid.

Cheers

I've encountered rocks similar to the second one in central QLD. It was non-magnetic, but looked like it had been molten once. The visual assessment by several geologists was that it was desert varnish that gave it the smooth appearance, however it also had several flat surfaces that, again, looked like they had been made when it was molten.

My own assessment is that it may be some type of impactite; not a tektite, but a lower energy meteorite impact that threw out molten ejecta as a sticky conglomerate of material in a localised area.

I'd like to see photos of the second one at different angles.

Dave

That's very interesting. Definitely not a meteorite. It almost looks volcanic, but I'm assuming you've already ruled that out.

You found it by detector right? So is it attracted to a magnet?

I'm definitely thinking impactite now based on your new images, but then I'm no expert.

Here's an example of traditional impactite. Looks very similar.

1432534049_impactite.jpg

I recon that's the same item , looks the same , It is non magnetic but the detector picked it up , very light , I am not in the hurry to cut it open

the first rock I placed in some battery acid which I sucked out of and old battery , removed , some of the top layer to reveal a nice little nugget

never seen it like that before , recon the old miners would have missed a lot of that

regards len :)

Len, actually this could be just the beginning. I'm not interested in your gold, but I'd love to know where you found the impactite.

I don't need to know an exact location, but a nearby town would help to determine if it is related to a known impact event or if there is an unknown crater out there waiting to be discovered.

Feel free to contact me via email at starfield7[at]gmail.com to discuss the impactite further.

Dave

There's no known impact craters in that area, but there is lots of old volcanic activity, which I'm sure you're already aware of seeing as you are hunting for gold there. Still looks like impactite, but given the young geology of the region, any traces of old impacts would have been wiped away long ago.

I'm going to hedge my bets; 70% chance impactite, 30% volcanic. A piece that size isn't worth having assessed. It would cost more to have a meteoritics geologist classify it than what it is worth to a collector.

Interesting little piece though, and I'd love to know if you find any more in the same region. Thanks for sharing Len.

Dave

I have seen rocks a bit like these from where the old timers smelted their gold... The rocks were from the slag of the top being dumped on the ground.. not saying your rocks are, just a maybe.. :)

Latest posts