Help me ID this metal.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have found a few bits of this metal, at first I thought it was slag, so I just threw it in my junk box.

It's non-magnetic, very heavy, and it's softer than steel but harder than lead.

1399081488_image.jpg

1399081510_image.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers Stoney.

+2 on lead, I have various scraps of lead from detecting, some are quite soft and malleable, whilst other pieces you really need to gouge with a screwdriver to check out what's underneath the surface scum.

Thanks guys, yeah I really have no idea :)

I did do some basic tests at home, it melts ice fast, and leaves a bit of black on a soft white cloth, it didn't seem to do anything when I tried the foundation (makeup) test, although I'm not sure I used foundation as the mrs is not home, and the magnet test.

I have found a handmade silver button at the site, but I've also found some lead items.

I should mention that I've put it through my electrolysis cleaner. It came out of the ground as a dirty brown colour, the lead I've found had more of a grey/whitish colour.
Not sure if that means anything, like Goldpick mentions the different variations of lead.

Thanks Diggerdude.
I can't gauge it with a screwdriver, just barley makes a scratch.
And when I rub it hard on a metal spoon, it starts to smooth and shine, but doesn't scratch the spoon.

Can lead be that hard? And what would be the best test to confirm or rule out lead, I can try at home?

Cheers

I have found a few bits that fit the same description, what weight and area was it found in.
I was told mine were platinum ??? and I was very happy with that.

Captn.

I found it near wagga nsw, flat bit of farm land that used to be a homestead from mid to late 1800's

I'm now thinking it might have been something that melted when the place burned down, it still has some sort of form. The narrow end has a triangle shape, and the back has a triangle groove.

I have tried bending the narrow end with pliers Without success, so I think it's too hard to be lead.

It's difficult to photograph.
1399106561_image.jpg

1399106633_image.jpg

1399106658_image.jpg

It polishes nicely

TenOunce Tone said:
Meteorite?

Slag?

Its very shiney

My first thought was slag, but I believe slag is magnetic.
This has no attraction to a magnet, so that would rule them both out.

I'm thinking it must be silver, it gives off a black tarnish when gave it a polish and did the match test, and my mate thinks he can tell by the smell that it's silver.

I think I will get it checked by a jeweller, not that it's worth much, I'm just curious.

You can get an industrial lead alloy that is used for things like car batteries, often alloyed with antimony for hardness over straight lead. Can also be alloyed with copper as well, so that may go some way to explaining the hardness and black streak.

I would like to say lead, but something tells me this is something else...definitely looks like silver but maybe it could be a nickel metiorite? very rare

no typical lead oxidization, was it polished by the finder? no silver oxidization either? we are narrowing this down, its not iron- silver- lead- or alloy (based on weight)

Latest posts