hello

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks

I started detecting with my brother in the late 80s, based in Adelaide, we both had Minelab Goldseeker 15000s. We found lots of rubbish and some coins, but we also saw some awesome gold finds, but unfortunately not by us.
I spent a lot of time in the flinders rangers in SA, researched a lot of places, but never found any gold. Time passed, the detector disappeared but the quest was always on my mind.
I was made redundant last year and with my payout I decided to buy a detector, had to get the best thing available so I couldn't look past the GPX5000 (even today I think I would prefer it over the 7000, personal preference)...
Played around for a while, went to a few spots, found an old coin but still no gold. Finally did my GPX training at the tail end of a trip to Victoria and then found my first gold, nothing spectacular, but it made me smile. I will put the pics up in the show your finds page.
Anyway, moved from SA to NSW a few months ago and now the Peel Fault is my new hunting ground - any tips would be appreciated (not secret spots) and I will gladly share what I have worked out.
I've been panning and bought a river sluice which I'm still trying to work out. Very, very, slowly filling a vile... I've read all about "Nundle Guy" but from what I see done to the river banks, I kind of don't blame him for wanting to protect the area, he just doesn't have to be a tool about it!
This is the coin I found near Avoca...near where I found my first gold...
1439716672_imag0213_2.jpg

Welcome PK, hope to see you out in the field. Make sure u check the Tuena PA meet if that's not too far for you. Good way to get to know other like minded prospectors! Our Nundle PA meet was a lot of fun. A few gems out that way as well.

Thanks for the welcome Twapster.
Tuena is probably further than I want to travel just now, still getting to know this area.
Might have to keep my eye open for the next meet around here.

Thanks for the welcome Karen.
Even though it wasn't gold I think the coin was pretty cool. I like to think about its history, how it made its way to Australia, how it fell out of some poor buggers pocket and how it was sitting in a creek bed for about 150 years since the last gold rush in the area.

P.K, I think I'd be more than happy if I found this coin instead of a nugget. It would be in my "miracle of miracles" finds. Something as old as that I hope to find before I hang up my detector for the last time.

A coin with an amazing journey over many many years and such a treasure to have in your possession. :eek: I'm jealous! :D

Thanks heaps for sharing the pic! It's precious.

Good to see someone else thinks a bit like me and finds the interest in the history, not just the monetary value. Although I've seen online auction reports where 2 of these went for $4K in very good condition, however an Adelaide coin dealer told me they were as common as and said it would be worth $10. :)