Hello..I'm all new to this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf65

Julie
Reaction score
Hi, everyone :) My dear old Dad recently passed away and I have 2 of his old, but still working gold detectors, a goldbug2 and a minelab 2100, I would really love to get out there and give them a go, but am not sure which areas are the best for a complete novice..I've heard of Safarla, Nundle and Hill End, but have been told they dont have much left, Any tips would be much appreciated, I live in sydney, so somewhere not to far to travel would be ideal..I really have no idea..Thankyou. :)

welcome to the forum buddy. i am not 100% sure but i think people are still pulling gold out of safala, hill end etc etc. do some research and see if you can find a spot thats close enough to you. if in doubt ask away there is always someone here to help!

Thank you..lol, I'm busy looking at maps, lists ect. i love those earth gold overlays. Its all very interesting.

Hi if you are thinking of going to hill end let me no and I can meet you there iam about 2hrs away.no gold yet still looking . :)

Thanks Steveo...my dad had a bit of luck out from Pentland QLD, lol, i don't want to go that far though. I've been checking maps ect, and there seems to be a few places a just couple of hours drive from me...good luck :)

1378201147_2013-07-03_17.01.35.jpg

a pic of one of my dads nuggets

jf65 said:
Hi, everyone :) My dear old Dad recently passed away and I have 2 of his old, but still working gold detectors, a goldbug2 and a minelab 2100, I would really love to get out there and give them a go, but am not sure which areas are the best for a complete novice..I've heard of Safarla, Nundle and Hill End, but have been told they dont have much left, Any tips would be much appreciated, I live in sydney, so somewhere not to far to travel would be ideal..I really have no idea..Thankyou. :)
jf65 Don't believe everyone who tells you there is nothing left. There is always plenty more out there. Sometimes you just have to do a bit more research, look a little harder or dig a little deeper. Keep looking & digging, you'll eventually get some good stuff! Cheers

Sorry to hear about your Dad, welcome aboard. Judging by that nugget I reckon your Dad must have got a good proportion of it all. :)

Thankyou, and lol, he loved his gold. This, among other smaller finds was found out west of Pentland QLD, he spent about 15 years out that way and got quite a bit to :) I'm really keen on giving it a go myself....lol, just trying to find the time :)

welcome aboard and good luck!

Keep posting any questions or things you learn along the way, this may help other people (like me) who are also starting out :)

Latest posts