hello from Reservoir VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello people,

I have been here a bit as a visitor and thoroughly appreciate the information that's been freely available - I still have lots of questions (mainly about parks & crown land) but I'll keep searching through posts rather than annoying people.
I do not own a metal detector, yet. That will change in the next week as I'm hoping to buy locally and I'm aiming for a Garrett AT PRO, expensive but hopefully means I get something that I'll be happy with for years.

As an aside any advice on buying locally in Melbourne (I'm in Reservoir) would be welcome. Ebay looks cheaper but I'm concerned about warranty issues if I buy overseas.

I have a keen interest in history and perhaps finding things people dropped :) (I think they overlap).

Best regards

Robert

G'day Robert welcome to the forum mate. I like the idea your going to buy your detector in Australia. I don't come from down your way mate, but their is a couple of businesses that are and i do believe they advertise on this forum. :)

Hi Roscoe,

still finding my way around the forum and I'm having trouble finding people who sell Garrett detectors in/near Melbourne - probably I need to "have a woman's look" as my wife kindly tells me.
Probably just call some shops tomorrow & I'll find what I'm after. Thanks for the welcome.

Robert

excellent thank you. I'll call Miners Den tomorrow, unfortunately all the other dealers listed for VIC are at least a 90 minute drive away (maybe I'm lazy).

Welcome to the forum mate. Miners den in Mitcham only sells Minelab. Good luck with your search. :)

"Miners den in Mitcham only sells Minelab. Good luck with your search. smile"
oh poo - thanks for the heads-up though ;)

Hi Robert,

Welcome! I'm also from Reservoir :)

Like yourself I'm new to this hobby (and prospecting Australia). I recently decided to purchase a second-hand Minelab Sovereign GT and have only taken it out twice on St Kilda and Port Melbourne beaches. I've been researching historical data from around Northcote to Preston, but have found it difficult to determine where to try the detector out. I'm hoping to start a new thread to see if we can organise a day/weekend for us newbies to head out with some experienced "detectoristas" ;) Keep in touch and let me know if you want some company when you decide to take the new MD out for a run.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I think the idea of asking for guidance from those with experience is a great idea. Have you tried any of the local parks just hunting for modern coin?
Once I've figured out the basics of using whatever I get I'll be in touch.

Robert

well I spoke to a few different people and ended up visiting Miners Den in Mitcham, left there with an X-Terra 305 which is sufficient for my needs. Tried at a local park for about 30 mins just to begin getting familiar with the machine, found 2 x 10c, lots of ring pulls and tinfoil. My daughter found $1 coin & a 5c piece on the ground without the metal detector! I will be taking her with me next time :)
The ground was rock hard so there were some targets I just didn't dig, but it was fun.