Hello from Lilydale

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've gained a growing interest in metal detecting but no nothing about it so I thought I'd come to the forum and learn from the experts.

Living in Lilydale in Vic I would say I'm on the doorstep to gold fields of yester year. I hope to educate myself on local places to go initially with very basic eqipment - still need to select something maybe the Aldi one? If lucky enough to find Gold I will keep to reinvest in purchasing better equipment as I become more experienced.

Regards

Kev

G'day and welcome. After you have read all the posts on here you'll be an expert on detecting in no time. If you have a question just ask. The aldi detectors seem popular, you never know you may turn up a sovereign or two or rings. Good luck
:) Mick

Welcome to the forum mate. You are only less than 1/2 hour drive from some nice creeks you can pan in. Good luck with your new hobby. :)

Thank you to all for welcoming me to the forum. BTW I tried checking the online Aldi specials and I cant see the detector? Did I misread a post from last year?

Yes I'm 2 mins from Warrandyte which used to be a gold hot spot years ago. Panning sounds interesting but one step at a time.

If I cant get the Aldi detector I will have to do some research on whats similar at the $100 price bracket even second hand.

Kev

Hi Aussie280/Kev,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here...especially someone else from my neck of the woods.

I'm right next door in Mooroolbark.

I'm focusing on panning and sluicing to begin with as the entry costs are a little more forgiving, but I'm definately interested in detecting (that's was what I was more focused on to begin with) and plan to get a decent machine at some point. But I'd want gold, so I'd want a PI detector so certainly not getting that for a while...$$$. If you're happy with relics and coins then an aldi detector will suit you fine. Not sure if they're on sale anymore. As far as I can tell they were only on sale for a short time. Haven't seen them since. Someone else might correct me on that though.

I'm a newb myself (haven't been out yet), but I just got my gear and am ready to head out in a week. I'm going to head up to Reedy Creek for my first proper outing with some prospecting/camping, but considering a little run down at Andersons Creek (Warrandyte) in the next few days for a little practice panning and sluicing. You're more than welcome to tag along. It'll be the blind leading the blind but should be a bit of fun if you're interested.

Anyways, good to have you on board.

See you around.

POG

Hi Pog (Matt)

Doing a bit of panning sounds interesting. PM and lets arrange something. I agree with the PI Detector. As I can hold a soldering iron I am researching kits to build. Initially the Surf PI but now reading up/speaking to Sven about his Mirage PI. If pricing is right I might try that.

Aussie280

I think we need to be at 10+ posts before we can PM. So couple more for me a few more than that for you and we're there. Maybe looking at Wed or Thurs or Fri for now...we'll see how it goes. Get posting and I'll PM you in a day or two.

wooly said:
Aldi's detector will be available in stores this Saturday the 3rd January.

Thanks Wooly for the update re Aldi Detectors...as I learn more I change my mind and now I'm thinking I will hold off on the Aldi detector and build a PI kit.

PotOfGold said:
I think we need to be at 10+ posts before we can PM. So couple more for me a few more than that for you and we're there. Maybe looking at Wed or Thurs or Fri for now...we'll see how it goes. Get posting and I'll PM you in a day or two.
Hi Matt,

I agree a few more posts to qualify for PM...so a few more posts between us back and forth should do it ;) ..later next week sounds good...do you have a licence yet?

WELCOME Kev if you want to talk prospecting post a reply I live in mount evelyn only glad to assist regards Johnb

johnb said:
WELCOME Kev if you want to talk prospecting post a reply I live in mount evelyn only glad to assist regards Johnb

Hi JohnB,

I would love to know more about prospecting. Just treat me like a sponge there is much to learn. A friend of mine said years ago he would go to the mines in Warrandyte. I haven't seen one. I'd like to have a look sometime with a guide from someone who can teach me what to look for etc. The sad thing for me is I work 6 days so can only go out on a Sunday. Apart from when I'm on holidays. :p

PotOfGold said:
Yeah whenever...I'll probably be pretty keen to get out whenever possible. And yeah, I'm 26 so I've got my full licence.

Hi Matt,

I was referring to your miners licence not drivers.

aussie280 said:
PotOfGold said:
Yeah whenever...I'll probably be pretty keen to get out whenever possible. And yeah, I'm 26 so I've got my full licence.

Hi Matt,

Aha, I thought it was it was a strange line of questioning. Derp. I guess you threw me off by calling it a licence. To me, it's a miners right for us recreational prospectors, and a mining licence is for proper mining. But I don't know...

Anywho, yes I do have my miners right sorted. Got that on the go a few days ago in preparation. You all sorted?

PotOfGold said:
aussie280 said:
PotOfGold said:

Hi Matt,

Aha, I thought it was it was a strange line of questioning. Derp. I guess you threw me off by calling it a licence. To me, it's a miners right for us recreational prospectors, and a mining licence is for proper mining. But I don't know...

Anywho, yes I do have my miners right sorted. Got that on the go a few days ago in preparation. You all sorted?

Right you are but no not yet. I understand I can purchase online when needed at anytime so probably buy it on the first day I go out.

That's correct. Its how I did it and only take a minute or two to get it online. Just make sure you have a printer, as I think you need to have a copy of it on you at all times when prospecting so you'll need to print out a copy. Then you'll be set.

Sounds good. Im flipping back and forth with building a kit PI and buying the Aldi unit. I need to figure out if I like the activity first as building a kit will take time. It will also still cost around $300 to do it properly although the result will rival $1000+ machines. Or do I just get a pan and do what you are doing first? Lots to think about. I'm jumping around like a pork sausage in the frying pan. :|

Latest posts