Hello Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to those responsible for this site.

LOL also to Sovereign Hill for inspiring my young daughters quest to find gold (responsible for my username)
I have found the mate ship, wealth of knowledge and open to share attitude here great and decided to register a login.

After spending hours researching the local history, search methods and touched on laws regarding where and how. I have found a big list of what not to do and where not to go but could not clarify which rivers/streams can be panned. Search goes on.

Anyway Warrandyte panning area and Daylesford have produced a few specs in the glass vial which was gold to see the smile on her face.

Cheers
goldengoose

Welcome aboard goldengoose. Have a look under the rules and regs heading, it has links for rules and regs state by state. Here's the link for the exempted rivers and streams list, and of course a miners right is a must and can be bought online. Should be a link for that to in rules and regs for Victoria if memory serves me correct. :)

Hi Chewy and Jaros,

Thanks for the info Chewy.

Being new to prospecting I have dug through the pages available and been down the path of getting the miners right and printed out the exempt rivers list.

There seems to be a lot of grey areas which leave it to your own interpretation of the laws.
I even stopped at Creswick tourist info yesterday and asked for places to pan and was told anywhere around here, there aren't many ranges around.
When I mentioned the exempt list that info quickly changed to the Slaty river is the place to go.

One of the questions I have, excuse my ignorance.
If a river or creek is on the exempt list. Are all creeks or gutters that feed into these also included as been exempt from fossicking?

Thanks
goldengoose

Hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong so we both know for sure, but my understanding is that any tributaries etc are mentioned in the exempted list if they are exempt. If it's not on the list it's fair game. Provided of course it's not on private property unless you have permission or another no go area.

Welcome to the forum GG, I think Sovereign Hill was a good teaser and incentive for a lot of us to get out and find some gold, best of luck in your ventures. :)

Latest posts