Havin a Laugh

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday prospectors and lurkers,
1st Jan 2016 Wife and I decided take kids fossicking. "What we can find Sapphires at Sapphire", sounds crazy but lets turn it into a camping trip. 7 days self sufficient at Tomahawk Creek Daughter 13 yrs "What do you mean the bush doesn't flush" Son 17 yrs "Dad I found a port for Iphone but tree has no power". Me dug away what felt like half a mountain and saw a tiny piece of glass,through sunlight transparent."I MUST BE A MILLIONAIRE". Wife walking along track "Look honey I found 1 Wow it's got 3 colours". WE MUST BE BILLIONAIRES.
Respectable lady shop owner on way out said "Sorry right shape, right size, but no cigar" Ground breaking disbelief but WOW what a ride.
Inspired us about organising our next trip before arriving home. I think what they call Sapphire sickness is filling up the car OH well only 1 cure best head to Inverell.
Guess what there is no CURE.
1st July 2016 after reading all great info on PA buy sdc2300 and have been out every weekend since. No yella yet but do you think we have a fever?.
So if Sapphires are a sickness
Gold is a fever
I dare not look an Opal in the eye.

Hi I'm Janko from Yowah QLD. I live here 33years and I'm a Gemcutter. I have an Goldbug for many years , I have 4 metal detectors but I have never been on real gold ground. I only exercise in my backyard with a real Gold Nugget ( about 1 gram ) buried and suspended by a fishing line. But this year is the time. Before Christmass 2016 n I will finaly go and tray the real thing. But where ? that's the challenge for now.

jankosultimo said:
Hi I'm Janko from Yowah QLD. I live here 33years and I'm a Gemcutter. I have an Goldbug for many years , I have 4 metal detectors but I have never been on real gold ground. I only exercise in my backyard with a real Gold Nugget ( about 1 gram ) buried and suspended by a fishing line. But this year is the time. Before Christmass 2016 n I will finaly go and tray the real thing. But where ? that's the challenge for now.

Hi Janko,
I'm a fist time user on a forum and also working through the do's and dont's but anyway gemcutting seems like a path my family will eventualy dip our toes in especialy after reading some of the great member's posts on cutting,finds and also where to go for a fever.
Yep and as a kid growing up in the city sometimes I cast my fishing rod from a 7 storey building through boredom. :D :8
anyway sure you will get much from the site.

Hi, i go by the name iaanski and this is the first time I have joined any sort of forum. I am of the generation before computers, mobile phones even before technology was invented so expecting some slip ups but will give it a go. I got interested in all sorts of rocks as a young buck living in the Kimberley w.a.even looked for diamonds before the argyle mine was started.we knew they were there somewhere. Have dug agates at agate creek, sapphires at rubyvale, opals in lightning ridge and scratched around some old goldfields in n.s.w. Recently bought a Garrett infinium my first detector and plan to scratch around tas a little. Enjoy reading what I can about your members escapades and hope to meet some of you one day. Cheers iaanski

jankosultimo said:
Howdy Janko , welcome. Lots off opal around Yowah to hunt down .Been gunna come out there but have not got around to it yet

Welcome Gem in I! Sapphires, Gold...its all beautiful and amazing! Enjoy the forum. :D

Thanks for the " welcome " guys. Can't wait to get there and tray it in real gold bearing ground. My only experience with gold detecting it this : I toed a tiny Nugget ( less than 1 gram) on a thin fishing line and buried it 4 inches in my backyard, and put my Fisher Gold Bug 2 over it and yes I had strong signal. Than I used my Garret ACE 350, and yes I also had strong signal. Than things got confused. I have an old Whites Coin Master about 25 years old and I had a strong signal to. Than I got my El Cheepo ( I purchased from Germany about 4 years ago ) it costed $87.00 Australian Dollars. And I also got strong signal. So there must be something wrong ! Why are people paying thousands of Dollars for a Mine lab if a $ 87.00 detector is doing the same job ?

You get what u pay for . Even cheap detectors will find nails, foil and gold at a shallow depth . As u go up in price they go deeper and give u a lot better idea off what u digging . A lot of areas in aust that have gold also have really hard digging and hard to detect over . The cheaper detectors in N W Qld hardly scratch the surface and only experienced operators on good quality machines find the deep ones . One bloke up there is doing well tho with a SDC 2300 finding pickers at about !00mm.but he is an exception

Latest posts