Have you seen something odd happen when out in the bush?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this and another post in another forum. I feel like a fool talking about these "incidents" as not a lot of city folks have been out there.
I am a believer. Before this and a few other things happened in the bush I would roar laughing.
I don't now...

My Scary moment.
Please do not bag me out about what I did.
Just read it.
Anyway,
A few years back me and two mates were camping way out the back of Delegate. Just above NSW and Victorian border.
After a long days hike Deer shooting we decided to set up camp in an old gold mining site. We could get our vehicles in close and there was a nice clear stream nearby.
After the meal was had, Including some nice fresh trout, out came the refreshing Ale's and we settled down to let our meal digest.
I always kept a rifle nearby as snakes and wild dog's were a bit of a problem and it needed to be cleaned and oiled for the next day.
I do wish to state that I always respected the dangers and responsible approach in owning and operating a high powered hunting rifle and was respected for it.
We could hear some Dingo's, or wild dogs a few miles away and after a while we started to notice that they seemed to be getting closer.
As the night progressed we forgot about them and concentrated on spinning out the usual banter around a camp fire. You know, "My story is bigger and better than yours" type of thing.
It was about an hour after we last heard the dog's howling we noticed that the bush had gone quite, Very quite.
Having a hunters instinct this did not go down very well but we went back to what we were talking about.
Then the poo hit the fan.
As I was talking to my mate I said to them both, "Fella's just keep doing what we are and don't get up or any thing."
I looked at my mate sitting opposite from me and said, "Mate, when I say duck, Hit the dirt hard and plug your ears with your thumbs. I am going to put a shot just of to your left and about 8 Feet in the air. DON"T get up."
I breached my gun slowly on the ground and counted to 5 then Yelled "DUCK"
Both my mates hit the dirt and I lifted, aimed, made sure of what I was doing was OK aimed and fired.
I tell you what the sound of a 243 going of in a dead quite bush is deafening.
All hell let loose.
A bloody big black shape took of from behind the tree about 50 meters away that I ploughed a shot into. There was a hell of a racket both on our right and left sides as something smashed it's way through the bush in the opposite direction's.
We grabbed the most precious things from the camp and bolted as fast as we could.
we went back 2 days later and collected the rest of our gear. I lost 2 Esky's over that. They had been chewed to bits by wild dog's or what ever. We went and had a look as to where the bullet hit and it was aprox 8 feet of the ground. I aimed a foot above the target.
What happened was as I was looking at my mate while I was talking to him I spotted a pair of eye's peering out from behind the tree that I shot. :huh:
Only problem was they were about 7 to eight feet of the ground.
We never went back there at night again.
I reported the incident to the local copper stating the reason why I did not shoot directly at what ever it was, It could have been some idiot dressed in a monkey suit or some thing similar. If it was they would be a bloody idiot and expect a nasty reaction from any one put in that situation.
It was a bit wrong of me to do it but it was regarded as a well placed warning shot.
He did not report me for being dangerous with a rifle as what I did would well, nearly be expected thing to do.
He did say that there had been a few "weird" things happening out that way for a few months and it would be best to stay away a while.
We agreed.

I think i just mentioned something about the hairs on the back of your neck, Tathradj do you have to spray WD40 on certain parts of your anatomy if its raining outside mate........balls of steel cobber........balls of steel ;).................. this is what mates are for..............

Geez mate i have a photo of a tree just like that. What are the odds it's the same tree :) I'll post a pic up in edit afteri put it through the app. My grandad was a classic for the big cats. I once thought they were stories, made up to entertain/scare me. Till one perfectly moonlit night was running just on dark after duck hunting not more than 2kms from home. I hit a duck on dusk and wadded in to the freezing cold water gambling around for about an hour could not find it. My old man would kick my bum for leaving one behind so i was wet cold and gave up. Heading home I was just pacing along a disused railway line shoot in my pocket but gun unloaded, liking up at the stars. Suddenly this creature ran up the raised bank and sat hunched low to the ground in front of me. No clean underwear for me i froze. I could see it coming forward and finally got my noodle going and loaded up, fumbling but effective. I took a few steps forward and gave both barrels, stray dog, big cat didn't matter. It was a hit with duck shoot and let out an almighty wail I've never heard come from a canine. It leapt sideways back down the bank and of into the scrub. I reloaded and bolted, i would never in any circumstance take a run with a weapon but i was scared out of my mind. it took me a long while to man up strolling in the dark in that part of the bush i can assure you.

I fully understand what your saying DWT.

Need to follow your gut feeling and don't question it.

LOL DWT,
I have a few of these that I will not mention for fear of being ridiculed.
Here is my other one mate.

Hi,
You would have read my post. :) :)
That was just one encounter. (In that case we were being surrounded for some reason)
There are just things out in the bush that if you spoke about them any body would think you are a nut case.
Yowies to me are a very smart intelligent being.
Harmless unless threatened like any wild animal.
I really wish that I had a camera set up and filming at the right time.
Like everyone says but, Seeing is believing and I have had some very close run in's with these people including the chance to shoot one. There is no way that I would do that as described in my post.
With the other encounter I actually had one lined up within a rifle scope. I dropped the gun down and waved at it.
The yowie knew he was stuffed. But when I dropped the rifle and waved at him he just stared at me then ambled off into the bush. I got the impression he thanked me for that by just the way he reacted.
Leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
A true believer.

You are scaring me :| I did like my time out in the bush alone, some things are life changing

Ozjono said:
You are scaring me :| I did like my time out in the bush alone, some things are life changing

Don't worry,
A small majority of human beings are worse. 8)
I don't camp alone anymore down this way, Just for safety's sake.
I suppose things happening can be made worse when you are armed.
I do not own a rifle now. Could not be bothered with the hassle. :(

loamer said:
Lights - probably min-min lights, glowing bugs, gas, the Southern Lights etc etc. Animals - I have seen my fair share of 'black panthers' (most likely very big feral cats) and some unexplained tracks that are unfamiliar to me and I have a pretty good handle on animal tracks. I have ever only seen one thing I cannot explain and the 'thing' took off from ground level at a great speed and went straight up - most likely a light trick or a weather balloon. These things usually have a simple explanation.
I read Ben78 comments about noises with headphones on and have had the same experience - sometimes when I wear headphones I swear I can hear voices and they are also kids laughing and singing - how odd! coming in through the threashold but when I stop and concentrate they are gone. I am in no way spiritual or a believer in the supernatural but the noises and sights of the bush sure can play some strange tricks as can the detectors electronics with EMI noises. Having said all that I have never felt unsafe in the bush and never had any cause to be worried of the unknown. (my old Pop kicked my arse if I ever sooked about bush-noises :lol: )

Hey Loamer, after our recent detecting we would often comment about hearing voices through our headphones. Sometimes I would expect to see someone when I turned around but there was always no one there. Not scary just strange, and now even stranger to see that others hear the same thing. I am hoping its a voice from the past that is going to give me directions to a sweet little spot, ha ha . :)
Donna

Tathradj said:
LOL DWT,

Hi,
That was just one encounter. (In that case we were being surrounded for some reason)
There are just things out in the bush that if you spoke about them any body would think you are a nut case.
Like everyone says but, Seeing is believing and I have had some very close run in's with these people including the chance to shoot one. There is no way that I would do that as described in my post.
With the other encounter I actually had one lined up within a rifle scope. I dropped the gun down and waved at it.
The yowie knew he was stuffed. But when I dropped the rifle and waved at him he just stared at me then ambled off into the bush. I got the impression he thanked me for that by just the way he reacted.
A true believer.

So your saying you have actually seen a real life "YOWIE" i bet there are some scientists who would break their necks to talk to you!!!!

dwt said:
Tathradj said:
LOL DWT,

Hi,
A true believer.

So your saying you have actually seen a real life "YOWIE"

That's correct mate. :)
Not funny at the time I can tell you but as I said before, I wish I at that time could have recorded the sighting.
It was back in the early 1980's. I used to do a lot of hunting around the Monaro and back of Bega.

First day into a multi day wander thru the Washpool NP back in the 80's and we came apon a perfect huge footprint in the middle of nowhere (muddy firetrail), after the shivers up the spine died down we just scrubbed it out and kept walking.

So i have to ask, is this common knowledge in this area, for large footprints and sightings of an aussie YOWIE, and is it kept quiet so as not to scare of visitors to this area, i only ask because i find this interesting...........

I have never heard of anyone else that goes walking in that area - its wilderness. Woodenbong was a Yowie hotspot in the 70's -80's. We tried to forget about the footprint as we had another 3 - 4 days wandering thru its territory

Nightjar said:
Paydirt said:
I have never heard of anyone else that goes walking in that area - its wilderness. Woodenbong was a Yowie hotspot in the 70's -80's. We tried to forget about the footprint as we had another 3 - 4 days wandering thru its territory

Sounds like a lot of dope grown and used in this area? :)

come on now Nightjar play nice :D , im sure for someone who spends a lot of time out in the WA wildernes you would have a few tales of mystery to share as well, considering its the oldest part of australia by a good couple of hundred thousand years............bewilder me with tales of adventure and mystery :eek:

Camping with the Missus and two boys out at Rocks Crossing on the Nowendoc River.

The fun day was over and darkness had taken over, so the usual coffee and watching the bush TV (campfire)
At night noise travels so well and we could hear every vehicle go along the road above our camp. ( The road that leads on Nowendoc way.)

In the day time you can even hear a pushbike on that dirt road.

This night, a few cars had gone past...then a while later...a single light...bright, at road level. Travelling faster than you would care to drive along that road given the condition of the surface. (probably 80km/h). With no sound associated with it at all.

The eldest son saw it, the Missus saw it....and I did as well....we watched the light travel along the the road, until out of sight.
Not one sound, completely silent. Really strange....as any vehicle from a pushbike upwards was audible easily...especially at night.

We all looked at each other and said what the hell was that!

I still can not think of an explanation....even an electric vehicle would be making noise as the tires crunched over the surface.

dwt said:
Nightjar said:
Paydirt said:

Sounds like a lot of dope grown and used in this area? :)

come on now Nightjar play nice :D , im sure for someone who spends a lot of time out in the WA wildernes you would have a few tales of mystery to share as well, considering its the oldest part of australia by a good couple of hundred thousand years............bewilder me with tales of adventure and mystery :eek:

wish i could find a post by Loamer

he had a scary experience with a white thing he saw through the bush way ahead of him one day and quietly sneaked up on it with his camera at the ready , it was only when he got right up close that the white thing moved and reached around with the dunny paper to finish his paperwork.

reckoned the owner of the white bumm got a fright too when he saw the bloke sneaking up with a camera . must have thought he was a real kinky perve.

The most scariest thing I saw in the bush was Hereskip in the middle of the creek
with a rota pan the first time I meet him..... :eek: :cool:

In seventies I was mining opal in Coober Pedy. I had claim on edge of Olympic opal field, not very far from the town. One early morning we drove to the mine as usual. I was discussing something with my partner so for about five minutes we sat in the ute and talked. I was just about to open car door and get out when I looked outside and froze. We were surrounded by fourty or fifty dogs. They were laying down in circle about twenty meters from our ute. Most of them were kind of greyhound cross, like those you see tagging along with local aborigines. But some looked like dingo cross. I'm not afraid of dogs, had dogs most of my life. But there was lot of them and they were very interested in us. So I pick up .22, found few rounds of ammo in glove box and fired shot to the ground between two closest dogs. They kind of jumped up then looked around them and the whole pack got up and slowly trotted away.
The rifle normally stayed in the ute but that morning we took it with us and I crimped detonator on short fuse and put it in the stick of gelignate. It was my turn to work on winch and I did not fancy my chances with single shot .22 against so many dogs, should they decide to come back. The rest of the day pass without any problems.
Karl

Latest posts