Have been expecting to see a thread like?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on how we leave the parks in which we dig. After watching some of those who leave unholy messes behind after popping their find out I guess it won't be long before we are outlawed. And all it takes is a bit of care to try to leave the grass and area as best we can after doing our thing. Seems to me that some get so overjoyed in finding their nugget or coin, that they must simply forget to fill in the hole. Is that giving too much benefit of the doubt.

Well all I can say is I find it very disappointing that they let the hoons do wheelies, leave smoke packs and empty can/bottles all over our beautiful camping spots over and over again and they want to stop us in our own back yard? Well I do the right thing and clean up all the bottle caps and rubbish after everyone else I'd like to see them stop me. I've always wanted night vision goggles.

Bendigo City Council has long banned any digging on some of the cities parks. This discussion has been noted before including the report of the idiot who detected and dug up parts of the Maryborough (Vic) footy ground and who was subsequently fined. He assumed his miners right gave him the authority to dig on any public land - IT DOES NOT. It pays to check by-laws, as much as we may hate too. I often look at the old alluvial lead maps of Bendigo, Ballarat and Dunolly and wish detecting within these city/town areas was permitted. I have however seen prospectors detecting along the medium strips/grass verges around Dunolly - the locals are not impressed and the Shire cracks the shxts as well.

Name and shame if you come across anyone doing this!!

I posted a video not long ago of 2 boys searching parks and digging holes with no care and leaving a mess

Night vision goggles? Geez some of the places I've visited you'd want to be careful. Mt William is notorious for holes 8feet deep and covered by bracken. You'd want more than night glasses. You'd need a 10ft ladder as we'll to get out of some of the spots you might drop into.
And night stooping is a hell of a cost for a hobby that's supposed to be god for us - out in the open air,etcetera.
And it all comes about because of some idiots who haven't learned to do the right thing, cause I've seen that vid you are talking about too.

Check out fossicking.com the old guy who gives the tips is great at showing how to actually retrieve a coin without leaving even a hint of a mess.

Digging partial plugs or if the find is reasonably shallow, the screwdriver method leaves little or no tell tale signs that you have been there. I really don't see any need to dig full plugs like you see a lot of on you tube, you can still dig a partial flap if the find is deeper. I am always bemused by people who dig huge plugs, then proceed to dismantle the plug only to find the coin was only 2" from the surface, completely unnecessary.

One of the reasons why I detect at night is not to hide what I am doing to the ground, but more to do with onlookers who take a disliking to detecting in their local park areas or oval surrounds, regardless of how well you dig the target, and repair any signs of being there. Unfortunately for us, some people have nothing better to do with their time, and are just looking for an excuse to get rid of us, regardless of how well we conduct ourselves.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, if you have kids starting out on detecting take them to the beach first to get their confidence up, and to get them in the habit of doing the right thing (taking rubbish with them, filling holes, pinpointing targets properly).

If you take inexperienced kids detecting at parks, give them the proper tools to do so (a decent coin recovery tool, not a shovel or pick). Also have them set their detectors on low sensitivity, so they only detect at or near surface targets, vs chasing every little junk target at depth. As you could imagine, this could possibly lead to holes all over the place. Only let them increase the depth when you are satisfied they can properly fill in holes, and identify targets to a satisfactory level.

ALWAYS use a pinpointer, hate seeing people dig huge holes, only to find the coin was in the side of the hole, 1" down!

Tot lots are a great place for kids to learn target ID's and signal responses without leaving too much of a mess, whilst actually having a chance of finding something decent.

Whilst there are some uneducated kids out there making a mess, there are probably just as many adults who deserve just as much blame, whether it be intentional, or unintentionally leaving holes or bad plugs.

If you can't dig proper plugs in the turf at home without leaving a mess, then you should not be attempting the same thing in public places.

Councils will always take the easiest and cheapest way out if they receive too many complaints, and that is to erect signage banning detecting vs managing the issue. :rolleyes:

I always use my garrett pro pointer in the parks and playing fields, after I have pin pointed where the object is. If the coin is more than 10cms deep I don't dig it at all. I only use the screw driver method so I can hide where I have been. The ppl who practise golf do far more damage than I do.
That's my 2 cents worth said and I hope others follow my lead.
cheers Rob

Common sense , respect , morals ....
"The bad apple" F% it up for everyone , every time , its only a matter of time...
No matter what you do or where you do it ... ALWAYS leave that place better than when you got there.
PICK IT UP , KEEP IT CLEAN ...
'AUSTRALIA' IS YOUR BACKYARD, BE PROUD OF IT !!
Dont let the greedy, selfish bastards take it from you

Here in SE QLD I keep the fire ant and local council phone numbers in my mobile and if I am approached by any body I let them know that I am doing every body a good deed. I also show them the rubbish that I take with me. Who better to spot fire ants then somebody with a metal detector.

Cheers, Rob

Latest posts