Gundagai Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm topaz and garnet are to be found at Gundagai? If so where? In the Murrumbidgee river, creek nearby? I need to find a place near the Riverina to take some people out to. Thanks :)

Or Quartz crystals. I have been there once before and know where to find opalite aka common opal there, rhyolite and jasper.

Seems there is a Topaz occurance near Gundagai, looks to be on private property though to me. Green triangle is the deposit.

208898 - Jackalass Lead
(Gundagai Topaz Occurrence)
Coords: -35.091821,148.135609
Mga_coordsys: MGA_55S
Mga_north: 6116184
Mga_east: 603513
Loc_method: 250K
Accuracy: 250
Major_comm: topaz - gem
Size_code: OCC
Comm_type: GEM
Met_prefix: WAGGA WAGGA
Geo_province: Lachlan Orogen
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_state: not operating
Op_status: ceased
Op_method: alluvial workings
Lga: Gundagai
Compiler: JR Reynolds 22/06/1999
Last_update: 1999-06-22
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Notes: Alluvial gravel containing gold and rare large, pale blue-green, good gem quality topaz.
Commodities
topaz - gem MAJOR
Current Resource Estimates
---
Production
---
Minerals
---
Mineralisation Style
---
Host Rock
(alluvium) Alluvium

1528538632_topaz.jpg

Wow, very interesting! I'm going to do some more research and see what I find. Thanks so much!

How did you find this locality with the info? :)

A quick check on google maps + earth shows that there is a creek actually there which means this must of been the spot they were talking about!

There are multiple roads that cut the creek and I'm sure I can easily access it! Might be a bit chilly though lol. I can bring the sluice as well as look for topaz and garnets.
I need to see if the roads are on private property

Thanks Dron. I remember seeing this image and found it very interesting. So when I go to Gundagai, I can find jasper, agate, topaz, garnets, gold, diamonds and possibly tourmaline. Though I bet I'll end up finding some flour gold and that's about it. I'll post whatever I find if I end up going there! :Y:
1528545809_screenshot_2018-06-09_at_10.02.56_pm.jpg

The link that Dron put up is the google earth overlay that I used. It's about the best multi info overlay I've come across.

There are very small diamond occurences nearby but it's not really a well known diamond occurence where your likely to actually find stones, some of these have only had 1 stone found there and they could have been only 1mm in size.

Tumbarumba is a pretty good spot to find sapphires on Macphersons Swamp Creek but over the last few years it has been off limits due a land lease holder not allowing people there due to damage from fossicking. You could always ask for permission or try to enter somewhere through the state forest, blackberries are a real problem there too.

It looks like they are ritiring this NSW data warehouse too soon, so the new website is this one.

https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/#/?bm=bm1&z=6&lat=148.9143431&lon=-32.6560775

Latest posts