Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Service stations, banks, post offices, lots of places have security cameras and still fall foul of criminals, yes harsh lesson learnt by them both.

As for sympathy, yes I have some for them as I would anyone who has fallen foul of criminals and scumbags.

No further questions your honor!

Manpa said:
Service stations, banks, post offices, lots of places have security cameras and still fall foul of criminals, yes harsh lesson learnt by them both.

As for sympathy, yes I have some for them as I would anyone who has fallen foul of criminals and scumbags.

No further questions your honor!

Thanks M.P. :)

Risk Management and Harm Minimization,just use your noggin 8) or you might loose it.

Do yourself a favour and don't put yourself in any unneccassary danger.

No excuses :Y:

Here is an example of a scam some one just tried on me in reply to a add I put on gumtree to sell something. Just to give every one a heads up. It starts by them asking to reply by email not text to see if item is still available then when you say it is they email you this message :N:

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.

Goldfreak said:
Here is an example of a scam some one just tried on me in reply to a add I put on gumtree to sell something. Just to give every one a heads up. It starts by them asking to reply by email not text to see if item is still available then when you say it is they email you this message :N:

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.

Had the same thing happen to me last year, I was selling a car. I ended up taking it off.

I had the same scam some time ago when I was selling a BMW motorbike and I could see how the scam worked so I replied. As it turns out it wasn't the motorbike they were after, but rather the called agents fees that I had to pay up front which I think was $800. Once worked out what the scam was I then ignored him and he kept coming back at me telling me he was going to take me to court. Finally I offered to let him take me to court and after that he stopped contacting me.

A friend lost a very expensive mountain bike to the paypal scam which went along the same lines.

Buyer paid and made a phone call saying a mate was in the area and could he pick it up

My friend was okay with that as he had his money $3500 so handed the bike over

Buyer made a claim that the bike never arrived and got their money back because according to Paypal you must provide delivery confirmation to the address listed or you dont have a leg to stand on

No Money, No Bike

The one detailed above is not trying to steal your gear. Its about fraudulent transactions. The "buyer" pays you with stolen bank details, they overpay and give you bank details to send their money back. No one turns up to collect your goods, the payment gets reversed and your out of pocket

These people are quite clever, imagine what they could achieve if they did something legitimate instead of this bulltish

Nightjar said:
Low life's won't stop at anything to rip off the unwary.
Asking for metal detector details including serial number then posting their own sale with scammed details.
Link didn't work, someone will know how to post it?

dirty Dogs! did you report them?

Nightjar said:
Asking for metal detector details including serial number then posting their own sale with scammed details.

What's the sale advert ID number?

They are a risky thing to buy second hand online. I got my first 4500 out of QLD and got a copy of the invoice then called the Minelab dealer and he confirmed it. I bought another two off this site from regular guys and another from a lady in the bush.

There are ways to buy used without too much risk but Gumtree from a stranger is not the best place.

Nightjar said:
Forgive my ignorance - I'm pretty new to detecting and have only dealt with shops. Does this mean that they are copying legit serial numbers onto knock-off equipment? Or do they just use the serial number as some sort of proof that they have a legit item to sell?

Cheers,

Simon

SimonF said:
Forgive my ignorance - I'm pretty new to detecting and have only dealt with shops. Does this mean that they are copying legit serial numbers onto knock-off equipment? Or do they just use the serial number as some sort of proof that they have a legit item to sell?

Don't forgive being new, everyone has to start somewhere, just like everyone else here. Something some here seem to forget.

From what I make if it, they are contacting those selling detectors, gaining details of the detector, serial numbers etc. Then making a for-sale advert of their own. Essentially fraud and theft by deception.

Yes I currently have a SDC for sale on Gumtree, the scammer has some story of being on a ship and wanted all my Paypal details for payment.
So told him to go drown yourself

Latest posts