Gulgong NSW Prospecting Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rastys 1964

Richard Scott
Reaction score
Last week I headed out to Gulgong for a couple of days to have a bit of a look around under the guidance of Bunyip. Day one started pretty wet with a storm band moving through but had a bit of a look at the history around Red Hill. The weather cleared up and we then headed out to a little creek that had a nice quartz reef crossing it and after a bit of a pan and finding some nice colour I set up the highbanker. As well as some nice flaky gold we found a number of gems including a half a dozen very nice pieces of topaz. After lunch we decided to have a bit of a swing around a couple of the old mines but with the storms around and the planes overhead there was a massive amount of interference and detecting was hard work. Did not manage to find any gold with the detector but had a very good look around the area. Then the storm moved in and we called it quits for the day.
Headed up to the Colonial pub for dinner and had the best steak I have ever eaten. What a great evening.
Next morning I had a few issues with the patrol and had to make a trip into Mudgee for repairs that took until mid morning. When we got back to Gulgong the rest of the day was spent looking around a number of different leads mainly focussing on the shallower ones to see if we could find any smaller nuggets that had been missed in the past. The storm bands were still hanging around so there was a lot of interference. The interference produced a lot of false signals so it meant having to check them numerous times to see if they were repeatable before you dug them.

Gold was stilll very allusive with the detector but I got to see quite a number of areas that I will be returning too in the future.

Ben (Bunyip) is starting up a prospecting tour guide business based in Gulgong and I was very impressed with his local knowledge as well as his willingness to help put you in the right areas for gold and gems.
I will definately be heading back out with him to explore the area between Gulgong and Burrendong in the future and would recommend a trip with him to anyone wanting to explore the area around Gulgong.

Richard

Found some nice gold at Gulgong. Really small but lots of it, but very easy to get. Also the material in the creeks are so mineralised never seen it like that before.

The town itself tho is just unreal. Been meaning to go to the museum it's suppose to have some old relics from my family. Went on June long weekend to the Henry Lawson festival and I recommend it to everyone. Loads of music and a big parade full of old cars, new cars and a few bogans with there late 80's Holden.

Sounds like you had a great trip! Pity the storms wouldn't leave you alone tho!

Latest posts