Granite n blood blisters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had to end this project early as the rock is weathering too fast for my liking.
Done this over a few months slowly chipping away, all hand chisel and hammer
Its been fun learning the techniques :)

Oink oink!
1468741439_14687199339560.jpg

shivan said:
Nice work, could you finish it off with a dremal?
I seem to have grabbed an intermediate granite and just laying in the rain at home has caused too many weak points and worried about loosing more detail. Its weathering is noticeable each time i approach it. Ill certainly have another go, I've done some dremel stuff but I like to have a go at the hard way lol. Should be able to score a chunk of local limestone to attempt a smooth finish after I smith up new tools I'm missing

When I was younger, my mother carved a lot of talc / soapstone ornamental stuff, I make too many mistakes with soft materials

Could you move it under shelter? Or even throw a tarp over it may stop a little of the weathering.
I would lie to try carving, but do not think i have the patience. Good luck with it.

Once you get the hang of the techniques, it becomes quite speedy to remove and sculpt. I'd highly reccomend softer than granite for a first go

Leaving to expose was intentional as I have thoughts mabey making a couple for the garden or sale. After sculpting they would have protection painted on to minimize wear, but this granodiorite contains a high percentage of biotite, some of it even in bold patches, and its these points which are rusting out and can't be prevented

Cheers for the questions!

Nice work AR, unfortunate that it is weathering but I'm sure what youv'e learnt with this will be helpful on your next carving work. :)

Latest posts