Gpx 4500 and SDC is there any need to have both?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 4500 and find it to be great, picking up gold down to .07g on my current patch with my 12" evo. Was just thinking if it would be worth getting a Sdc2300 to pick up the finer gold, or do you guys reckon it's not worth the extra expense for the sdc when I already have the 4500. Thanks Liam

Liam.

The 4500 is more than adequate, especially with that coil. Realistically are you going to find $4,000.00 worth of gold with the SDC? The very finer gold around that size is about $2.00 per piece so you will need to find 2000 small pieces to cover your costs. Stick with the 4500 and put an 8" coil on it and you have a SDC.

Regards Axtyr.

Yeah the thought just entered my mind to buy a sdc but I reckon your right Axtyr, should just stick with the 4500, I do have a 8 inch detech coil, I haven't used it much, might have to whack it on and give it a crack again. Cheers

Foal8686 said:
Hi guys, I have a 4500 and find it to be great, picking up gold down to .07g on my current patch with my 12" evo. Was just thinking if it would be worth getting a Sdc2300 to pick up the finer gold, or do you guys reckon it's not worth the extra expense for the sdc when I already have the 4500. Thanks Liam

They will in fact both see gold that the other cannot. It's not just the gold the SDC may find it's also the gold it will find that will alert you to the fact your on it. Then you pull the big guns out and look at the area a lot closer than you otherwise would have probably just kept on walking. The SDC will sniff out gold the 45 won't see no matter what coil is on it, and that also includes the Z. Both have their merits and neither does it all ;) If you can afford it ................. grab one as it's also a handy little mate to take down the beach at any time also for a bit of coin and relic hunting.
There are also pages on the topic of SDC for both the pros and cons :D

Seeing as you own one of the best Gold Getters ever made I would experiment with smaller coils and see if you can pick up nuggets down to 0.3 0.2 and maybe ? smaller, and if money is not too tight and you want to step it up a gear I would Add the SDC but not sell the GPX in order to get the SDC. The GPX is so flexible because of its adjustability and Coil choices and the SDC is great for fine Gold and high country backpacking, All in all you can't compare the two because each one compliments the other as would a good VLF or two, There are about 4 machines that would cover the whole spectrum of prospecting so in the long run it would pay to aim along those lines.

Hope that helps.

J.

Hi Liam

My 4500 with the Elite 14 x 9 has found gold down to .04, the SDC I have is just a back up or for a family member to use.

Your 4500 will find you small gold, good luck.

Regards Anthony. :) :) :)

Liam it takes a lot of fine gold to pay for a sdc I understand what you are thinking I have had both ,I sold the sdc and have stayed with the 4500 I use 12 and 15 evo coils I also have a 14x9 evo it is very good on the small gold just another way to think about regards john :Y:

I too have sold the SDC and went back to a 4500, to compliment Mrs Redfin's 5000

Ill differ here, I have a 5000, 7000 and a 2300.
While not necessary to have a 2300 it does compliment the others and each will find gold the others wont.

As for not paying for themselves? To right they do! But then that depends on where you detect I suppose but I wouldnt be without one.

I bought a 4500 then 12 months later bought an SDC.
I would not be without both of them.
Yes, The 4500 is dynamite but if you have a bad emi/rfi day
or are detecting under a major flight path,
Haul out the SDC.
A lot of prickly gold can not be "Seen" with a 4500.
SDC will nail it.
Deeper gold cannot be seen with an SDC. (Unless it is a BIG bit.)
4500 can see deeper.
Best part about it.
You have to WALK over it first. :Y: :Y:

Tathradj said:
I bought a 4500 then 12 months later bought an SDC.
I would not be without both of them.
Yes, The 4500 is dynamite but if you have a bad emi/rfi day
or are detecting under a major flight path,
Haul out the SDC.
A lot of prickly gold can not be "Seen" with a 4500.
SDC will nail it.
Deeper gold cannot be seen with an SDC. (Unless it is a BIG bit.)
4500 can see deeper.
Best part about it.
You have to WALK over it first. :Y: :Y:

The above sums it all up :Y:

My 5000 is a good unit but wouldn't be without the 2300.

Gpx5000 fine gold setting with 12" evo can't see it, Z can't see it, but the SDC can .................. that's good enough for me as I'd rather come home with four or five small bits than nothing.
Tibooburra 135 bits ........................ over an ounce all up ..................... I'll take that thank you very much and half the machine then paid for is even better

Thanks for all the feedback guys, one thing I would like to know, does the Sdc handle extremely mineralised ground better than the 4500? In my current patch I have pulled about about 30 or more pieces out of it but I reckon there is still more. I have tried my 8inch detech on the 4500 yesterday but get heaps of hot rock and noisy ground signals even with it on rx gain 7 stab 10 and quiet audio. So if the sdc handles the ground better it may be a option.

Hi F8686,

I have a 5000 and an SDC. Have been covering the country that Id swung over with the 5000 and the SDC is still finding bits. The last bit of gold that I found was in an area that I knew that the 5000 covered well. Picked up a .4 g piece at about 1 inch that I knew the 12 Evo would have sniffed out. I was really cranky with myself about how slack I must have been to miss quite a large piece, until I did a test. The Evo would not pick up this piece of gold until the coil was just about touching it. The SDC on the other hand screamed at a few inches. When I looked closely at the nugget, I could see that it was quite porous. I quite often take friends or family out for a play and just hand the sdc over to them. Its so easy for them to play with and allows me to concentrate on my own detecting. Some of the smaller pieces I have found with the sdc barely register on the 5000. I also tend to play in water a bit. The gpx hasnt had swimming lessons and does not hold its breath overly well. Bush bashing with the sdc is a breeze as you can pop it into a back pack.
For me, the answer is a definite yes.

Cheers

Les

Lesgold said:
Hi F8686,

I have a 5000 and an SDC. Have been covering the country that Id swung over with the 5000 and the SDC is still finding bits. The last bit of gold that I found was in an area that I knew that the 5000 covered well. Picked up a .4 g piece at about 1 inch that I knew the 12 Evo would have sniffed out. I was really cranky with myself about how slack I must have been to miss quite a large piece, until I did a test. The Evo would not pick up this piece of gold until the coil was just about touching it. The SDC on the other hand screamed at a few inches. When I looked closely at the nugget, I could see that it was quite porous. I quite often take friends or family out for a play and just hand the sdc over to them. Its so easy for them to play with and allows me to concentrate on my own detecting. Some of the smaller pieces I have found with the sdc barely register on the 5000. I also tend to play in water a bit. The gpx hasnt had swimming lessons and does not hold its breath overly well. Bush bashing with the sdc is a breeze as you can pop it into a back pack.
For me, the answer is a definite yes.

Cheers

Les

Exactly what I have found. The SDC will find bits others won't. No,wonder they call the SDC the vacume cleaner

Latest posts