Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden_Smoky

Old geezer who owns a Minelab 4500 and implements
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I will have some ready cash soon, and am thinking about taking on the "detectormods" to give my Minelab 4500 a boost and bit of extra in the hunt for gold.

Question is, has anyone had this done to their machine and was it worth the cost, as it's not cheap but then again, gold would pay it back in no time if it works as put in the advert.

I don't need to know anything but is it worth the trouble of sending my machine down to have it altered or isn't it.

Gold is addictive.

1678589556132.png

but then again, gold would pay it back in no time if it works as put in the advert.
This is what concerns me whenever I see somebody wanting to get these mods done.
The bottom line is if you're not finding enough gold with your 4500, as it is stock, then throwing money at modifications likely won't change that.
Looking at some of your previous posts you've declared some areas as devoid of detectable gold. I know those areas & know that's not the case.
IMO time/money might be better spent on research + gaining some knowledge on your target areas?
Detector Mods won't magically make gold appear where you have struggled to find it previously.

If you are seriously looking then forum member @AuMan would be worth contacting too:
https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/gpx-series

Hi All

I will have some ready cash soon, and am thinking about taking on the "detectormods" to give my Minelab 4500 a boost and bit of extra in the hunt for gold.

Question is, has anyone had this done to their machine and was it worth the cost, as it's not cheap but then again, gold would pay it back in no time if it works as put in the advert.

I don't need to know anything but is it worth the trouble of sending my machine down to have it altered or isn't it.

Gold is addictive.

View attachment 8454
I would definitely recommend against it. I have heard mixed reports about the success of people trying to beat Minelab at the technology they have developed.
At best you might get something which may only infinitesimally better and at worse we’ll worse with the down side that you lose any backing from Minelab in repairing the detector and that also affects the resale value.
If only marginally better will that equate to a lot of extra gold? History says not.
There is a better payoff by putting in more effort, research and time rather than by throwing money at detectors and expecting that to work.
Were it me, I’d consider putting the money towards a 6000 which is proving very good.

I would definitely recommend against it. I have heard mixed reports about the success of people trying to beat Minelab at the technology they have developed.
At best you might get something which may only infinitesimally better and at worse we’ll worse with the down side that you lose any backing from Minelab in repairing the detector and that also affects the resale value.
If only marginally better will that equate to a lot of extra gold? History says not.
There is a better payoff by putting in more effort, research and time rather than by throwing money at detectors and expecting that to work.
Were it me, I’d consider putting the money towards a 6000 which is proving very good.
Thanks for that, I'll keep on keeping on researching and going for gold without the mod, and as I'd love a 6000 it's way out of my ball park now on a pension.

Thanks for that, I'll keep on keeping on researching and going for gold without the mod, and as I'd love a 6000 it's way out of my ball park now on a pension.
The 4500 has a lot of fans on PA, so I don't think you need to reconsider that choice. If you need some guidance on the best settings for it, there'd be plenty here ready to offer advice. Also, what coil/s are you using on it?

I'd just like to point out about Minelab repairing detectors out of warranty. To my knowledge, they no longer do component level repairs on the circuit boards. So if there is a fault with a component on your main board, you will need to buy a new one. They still do things like the flexible strip replacement, switches or a full board replacement.
The flexible strip and power plug is the most common fault on the GPX series. To combat this, I have designed my own flexible strip that will not fail if/when the power plug becomes internally loose.
And I also do all component level repairs on the circuit boards.

If anybody wants to see a demo of a modified GPX5000 in the Dunolly area, I'd be happy to do that. The improvements that I do are very obvious. I can't speak for what others do.

Cheers Mick

Last edited:
The 4500 is a real sensitive machine, if you are not finding gold it probably means you are not walking over it. Research and more research is the answer. Also resale value is an issue on a modeded machine. Many people will be reluctant to buy. Get a test piece of gold and do some testing to understand the gold response

This is what concerns me whenever I see somebody wanting to get these mods done.
The bottom line is if you're not finding enough gold with your 4500, as it is stock, then throwing money at modifications likely won't change that.
Looking at some of your previous posts you've declared some areas as devoid of detectable gold. I know those areas & know that's not the case.
IMO time/money might be better spent on research + gaining some knowledge on your target areas?
Detector Mods won't magically make gold appear where you have struggled to find it previously.

If you are seriously looking then forum member @AuMan would be worth contacting too:
https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/gpx-series
Hi

I only asked as have seen in the Gold Gem and Treasure the add sprukes so well when read and no one has ever had anything the GG&T magazine to say good or bad investment.

"(Question is, has anyone had this done to their machine and was it worth the cost, as it's not cheap but then again, gold would pay it back in no time if it works as put in the advert. I don't need to know anything but is it worth the trouble of sending my machine down to have it altered or isn't it.")

As for finding gold, when a compatriot that moves from the area I love to frequent and has used the 4500 continuously since the inception of it on the market, has taught me how to use it and use I did, around the Hill End area (areas that are legal) then there is truth in saying there isn't much in the way of gold "I'm" able to find in that area. As for other areas, yet to visit any others and again, it's depending on my prowess of using the detector as some areas are different to others in the machines adjustment of the functions needed for those areas, which isn't great, as he was the only person to teach me the use of it, no one else seems to have the time to let me know what the best functions are on the 4500 for the areas I'm planning to go into. These functions help, no one can say they don't, but seems to be a secret on the functions and what they do. I can't find a manual that speak plain English Aussie at that, about the ground in the areas of Aus sufficiently for me to adjust the 4500 to the best setting for that area.

I appreciate what people are telling me, don't get me wrong, yes, there is bad use of my 4500, that is whey I wrote what I did in the last long paragraph, but until people take the time to tell this old man what the best use of the 4500 is, then I'll say there is no gold to be found in that area. There may be, but with the adjustment that is needed to find the gold and the areas (I have researched "extensively" researched, but unless the machine is set-up to find the gold in that area it won't work to my advantage. I have found a few little bits, but 3 bits of gold aren't what I call a good week of detecting in an area such as Hill End.

I could spend 2 weeks in that beautiful spot detecting and not find a bit of gold and go home with a relaxed mind, but not a happy mind along with the relaxion as part and parcel of the trip.

The 4500 has a lot of fans on PA, so I don't think you need to reconsider that choice. If you need some guidance on the best settings for it, there'd be plenty here ready to offer advice. Also, what coil/s are you using on it?
I'm have 4 coils, 3 came with the detector when new, and bought one off the Internet which is supposed to find gold deeper, but haven't used it on the gold bearing grounds yet, only the beach and wow, it goes deep alright, punches real deep, better than those others. It's mono Detech brand, bought online, and wow, it's finding stuff buried so far under the sand it's incredible, the other guy who detects with me is amazed at it's depth capabilities.

1679462665380.png

Hi

I only asked as have seen in the Gold Gem and Treasure the add sprukes so well when read and no one has ever had anything the GG&T magazine to say good or bad investment.

"(Question is, has anyone had this done to their machine and was it worth the cost, as it's not cheap but then again, gold would pay it back in no time if it works as put in the advert. I don't need to know anything but is it worth the trouble of sending my machine down to have it altered or isn't it.")

As for finding gold, when a compatriot that moves from the area I love to frequent and has used the 4500 continuously since the inception of it on the market, has taught me how to use it and use I did, around the Hill End area (areas that are legal) then there is truth in saying there isn't much in the way of gold "I'm" able to find in that area. As for other areas, yet to visit any others and again, it's depending on my prowess of using the detector as some areas are different to others in the machines adjustment of the functions needed for those areas, which isn't great, as he was the only person to teach me the use of it, no one else seems to have the time to let me know what the best functions are on the 4500 for the areas I'm planning to go into. These functions help, no one can say they don't, but seems to be a secret on the functions and what they do. I can't find a manual that speak plain English Aussie at that, about the ground in the areas of Aus sufficiently for me to adjust the 4500 to the best setting for that area.

I appreciate what people are telling me, don't get me wrong, yes, there is bad use of my 4500, that is whey I wrote what I did in the last long paragraph, but until people take the time to tell this old man what the best use of the 4500 is, then I'll say there is no gold to be found in that area. There may be, but with the adjustment that is needed to find the gold and the areas (I have researched "extensively" researched, but unless the machine is set-up to find the gold in that area it won't work to my advantage. I have found a few little bits, but 3 bits of gold aren't what I call a good week of detecting in an area such as Hill End.

I could spend 2 weeks in that beautiful spot detecting and not find a bit of gold and go home with a relaxed mind, but not a happy mind along with the relaxion as part and parcel of the trip.
That being said the mods will likely just add another layer of settings to what you're already finding difficult to grasp (by the sounds of it).
You are right in that the accessible areas are getting harder to find some gold now, not impossible or completely gone. What I was getting at is the mods won't change that, it'll still be hard to find.
Next time your heading out that way put a thread up in Member Meet Ups & if the time suits somebody might be able to meet up to help you a bit, keeping in mind a lot of people operate differently to how things suit them.
Another option would be to seek out some professional tuition. I'm currently not aware of anyone to recommend in the area myself but others may know of someone?

That being said the mods will likely just add another layer of settings to what you're already finding difficult to grasp (by the sounds of it).
You are right in that the accessible areas are getting harder to find some gold now, not impossible or completely gone. What I was getting at is the mods won't change that, it'll still be hard to find.
Next time your heading out that way put a thread up in Member Meet Ups & if the time suits somebody might be able to meet up to help you a bit, keeping in mind a lot of people operate differently to how things suit them.
Another option would be to seek out some professional tuition. I'm currently not aware of anyone to recommend in the area myself but others may know of someone?
Hi mbasko

I will do just that, put out a "who wants to meet up".

Also, wasn't really thinking of putting the mod on my detector, that is what the question was about, perhaps I wrote it incorrectly, but it was to have some opinions about the mods put out there for others to see that may help all decide not to go down that path. I've long decided to use this forum to have things written that help others and myself know more about the hobby. I appreciate your time taken to get back to me and all points are taken on board with thanks.

I'm have 4 coils, 3 came with the detector when new, and bought one off the Internet which is supposed to find gold deeper, but haven't used it on the gold bearing grounds yet, only the beach and wow, it goes deep alright, punches real deep, better than those others. It's mono Detech brand, bought online, and wow, it's finding stuff buried so far under the sand it's incredible, the other guy who detects with me is amazed at it's depth capabilities.

View attachment 8630
That Detech coil's got a well-deserved good reputation as you've already learnt, so it sounds like all you need now is some one-to-one coaching or an experienced person to prospect with for a trip or two. Somebody who can point you towards suitable detector settings, so you build confidence in your ability to optimise your settings for whatever areas you go to in future on your own.

Hi Golden Smokey.
Finding undetected gold is not just a matter of going for settings or coils to go deeper as undetected gold can be found at any level from a few inches to feet deep.
Going for depth can miss shallower undetected gold and going for shallower gold with more sensitive settings will miss deeper gold. It all depends on a complex mixture of settings and coils just too hard to comprehensively explain.
What I would recommend is to do some trial and error testing with a shotgun pellet and a lead sinker, they will sound similar enough to gold for the purpose.
Return your detector to factory settings and bury the test pieces and then gradually change the settings one by one incrementally until you can identify the best target response. Resist the temptation to be over aggressive as turning some settings up too much will result in noisy operation resulting in missed targets. Minelab have designated their factory settings for good reason.
That will give you an idea of what settings suit you for the particular location you are testing in, but you would be advised to repeat some testing if you move to an area with more difficult soils.

Awesome Mod, best detector ever..

The modded GPX5000 by AuMan is the best detector ever..and perhaps the best kept secret...205 more nuggets so far on a patch in Vic where I couldn't find any more...50 more nuggets and species so far on a well known patch in Eaglehawk flogged by every person and his dog...regular sub-gram nuggets and species at 1 foot depth...

Latest posts