GPR v GPZ ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since price is a hot topic at the moment with the GPZ7000 running $11000 plus coils guesstimated to be in the $1200 range.

Is there now an argument for Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) ?

Its not a bad thought but there are limitations with it's use too:
1. The deeper you scan the less resolution I.e. something you can see @ 300mm may not be visible @ 1m
2. Conductivity & salinity of soil. Doesn't work well in highly conductive soils (most goldfields?) or salt ground. Clay (heavy) is also a show stopper.
3. Surface obstacles impede the process. Whilst GPR machines are mostly mounted on wheels, the antenna part likes to skid across the surface of the ground with minimal or no obstruction. The smoother the skid, the better the image. Most goldfields are inherently rocky, undulating etc.
4. Generally specific knowledge is required to interpret results.
5. High power consumption - problematic on extensive field surveys.
6. Moisture
Sources: www.groundpenetratingradar.com.au & Wikipedia

The goldfields may not present a big enough market for Alain. They are, by all reports, dominating European coin/relic markets. Gold detecting may not be on the radar :lol: (pun intended)

mbasko said:
The goldfields may not present a big enough market for Alain. They are, by all reports, dominating European coin/relic markets. Gold detecting may not be on the radar :lol: (pun intended)

hmm ok then..

There are a couple of antenna that are specified in the 400 - 500 Mhz range with current tech that quote 4.5m depth and that locate <6mm objects.
Obviously there are limitations, yet the GPZ is getting up there in price range now.

Wintersnake said:
There are a couple of antenna that are specified in the 400 - 500 Mhz range with current tech that quote 4.5m depth and that locate <6mm objects.
Obviously there are limitations, yet the GPZ is getting up there in price range now.

Just Hang in there. Just had another company confirm
They have commenced building a pi gold detector.

mbasko said:
nuggetino said:
A rayfinder may be another option. It looks the goods and takes the complications out of detecting.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJGs1gtlEU[/video]
Caveat emptor on that one!

LOL I like the calculator with car aerial better.

The GPZ tech from a laymans understanding sounds very similar to some of the GPR's that actually use magnetic fields in a PI type manner. However I am more interested with radio waves (radar).

Really just a thought about the paying the same sort of coin for a GPR as the GPZ.

mbasko said:
Think he's after a radar not a tecta :lol:
Which one of the rumoured companies is having a crack at it? Nokta/Makro, XP, Fisher or the Whites hybrid?

I know one company has already completed testing
Here in Aus and Nokta has also confirmed to me via
Pm on another forum.

Below is Noktas announcement just in case you only
Frequent some particular areas of the forum only :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9724

Wintersnake said:
The GPZ tech from a laymans understanding sounds very similar to some of the GPR's that actually use magnetic fields in a PI type manner. However I am more interested with radio waves (radar).

Really just a thought about the paying the same sort of coin for a GPR as the GPZ.
Definitely worth thought when your in the $10k + range. The thing that puts me off them though is the drop in performance once the ground starts becoming conductive.
Electromagnetic conductivity meters may also be worth considering depending on cost & ease of interpretation?
http://www.geosensor.com.au/products/?c=7-em-conductivity

Wolfau said:
I know one company has already completed testing
Here in Aus and Nokta has also confirmed to me via
Pm on another forum.
Yeah I have read pretty much all about Nokta/Makro, XP, Whites & Fisher all going to come to out with something in the future.
I don't get too carried away with it yet as nobody has yet come up with anything that even matches the raw power of older Minelabs. Sure there are things that some have that are better in regards to discrimination etc. but raw power in Aussie conditions - in my opinion no! Plenty will disagree but I don't care.
Until someone actually releases something that can equal or better anything available now I won't be getting too excited. Most of the competition would be happy if any PI they developed worked well in the milder conditions of the US - much bigger market & better profit margin than trying to R&D something for our bastard ground :lol:

mbasko said:
Wintersnake said:

Definitely worth thought when your in the $10k + range. The thing that puts me off them though is the drop in performance once the ground starts becoming conductive.
Electromagnetic conductivity meters may also be worth considering depending on cost & ease of interpretation?
http://www.geosensor.com.au/products/?c=7-em-conductivity

I did look at Magnometers some time ago, i'm not sure the definition is there TBH. Still, the tech evolves like everything.

Should 'GPR v GPZ?' perhaps be 'GPR + GPZ'? Further to Goldpick's link above, this is from the Codan (Minelab's parent company), 31 December 2014 half-yearly report:

Minelabs Countermine business also reached a significant milestone, working with a major US defence company, NIITEK, to integrate Minelabs advanced metal detection technology with NIITEKs ground-penetrating radar to produce the worlds best dual-sensor handheld detector. By combining two complementary sensors, it provides superior performance for buried object location and subsurface inspection in challenging soil conditions. The product has begun selling and has sparked a high level of interest among military customers.

Latest posts