Goldern triangle suggestions for 2 wheel drive access

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The digger and I have a few days (up to a week) were we can get away to go detecting.
One of our problems is that we will be using a front wheel drive Toyota Camry, instead of the Prado this trip.
We will be driving down from Robinvale and looking for a place with in the GT that is 2 wheel drive accessible.

The storage space is limited in the sedan, so we are only going to pack the tent and some basic camp gear for the trip.
We dont have to camp in the one location for the whole trip so having a couple of alternative locations would be a bonus.
Might even splurge and stay in a hotel/motel a couple of nights while away.

We have been to Maryborough and also did a day trip to Fryerstown/Irishtown at Castlemaine recently , but want to try some where different this time if possible.
Let me know your ideas and suggestions on general areas of the GT we can check out on line and plan our trip around.
cheers :Y:
Nucopia

If a front wheel drive 'camry' gets bogged, i think i'd be spending the coin paying someone to yank me out not on snow chains. It aint coming out without help :)

You can do the Whipsticks Bendigo ,Dunolly ,Tarnagully I drive a sedan and dont have any probs just pick the track your comfortable with but the whipsticks is ok at the moment good hunting if you go to Dunolly call in at gold search Deans a nice guy and really helpful hope this helps .PP

Hi Nucopia.... I only have a RWD Territory and manage to stay out of trouble, most of the area has had a bit of rain but most of the major access tracks should not be a problem. Some of what look like deeper ruts on some tracks on theses tracks are actually OK, they have been well travelled and have a firm base ..... stating the obvious buy just steer clear of the clay type ruts, if in doubt have a look and turn around.
Cheers T.

Suggest Tarnagulla on the oval surrounds with Toilet/shower for $5 a night, may please the digger if a she. Tent/belongings should be safe with a caretaker adjacent. Reasonable tracks for 2wd. Gold still around if you have a 2300/7K/45 or 5k.

Hotel for a meal and local info/stories from the manager.

Peter

Around Dunolly and Havelock you need a narrow car or van with a tight turning circle and light steering.We have gone down faint tracks that are not tracks and squeezed between small trees barely 6 feet apart without problem.Only expect to get your paintwork scratched by the Wattle saplings.We even go cross country to our prefered camping site.There is really no safe areas to pitch a tent and trees fall down in the middle of the night.Yesterday we went to Union Jack Creek south of Buninyong where the flats were all under water and silly me went on the grass to avoid a hole and by a miracle managed to exact myself from a large bog.The diggings were even inaccessible by foot as there was so much water and anyway they were all covered by prickly low shrubs.We are waiting to find a nugget so as to buy two off road tyres as the government has slashed my pension by 30% at age 72.So you chaps better find your retirement nugget before it is too late.

Thanks guys.
Whipsticks ,Dunolly ,Tarnagulla look like the areas to focus on and with a camp ground with showers and toilet at Tarnagulla , Yep the " digger" is the Mrs so she will be pleased..also might be a good place to consider as our first camp site for the first few nights.
I will have to start doing a bit of research now.. ;)
Cheers !

Hey Nucopia. Just use common sense (you have) , and carry a charged phone and UHF radio. Even with the rains, there's hundreds of places that you can safely reach & camp. Look forward to catching up again and seeing your next giant nugget. :Y:

oldtimerROB said:
We even go cross country to our prefered camping site..

And please don't do this in a vehicle either, huge fines if you go off the tracks and get pinched, and doesn't do our cause much good.

Plenty of places around dunolly and havelock that you can get to with a 2 Wd vehicle without going down faint tracks that aren't tracks and plenty of places to camp without worrying about trees falling on you in the middle of the night. :Y:

BigWave said:
Hey Nucopia. Just use common sense (you have) , and carry a charged phone and UHF radio. Even with the rains, there's hundreds of places that you can safely reach & camp. Look forward to catching up again and seeing your next giant nugget. :Y:
Same here BW ..
We have 2 hand held UHF radio's , cell phone and the GPS and I'm not planning to get to far off the beaten track on this trip.
Zeroing in on a few places around Tarnagulla Waanyarra and Dunnolly.
We have 10 days from tomorrow , the digger has been down at Robinvale for the last two weeks, while I've been staying with the the kids in Lake Mac, so really looking forward to getting out and enjoying the bush with the digger..

Latest posts