Gold will go $10,000 US per ounce & much more soon .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Interest rates surging after a 5000 year low :lol: :lol:
Don't sell your gold for A VERY LONG TIME. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's OK Smoky, the guy who predicted it will reach USD$10,000 per oz has a company that stores clients' silver and gold in a facility outside of the banking system, that I'm sure will only cost them a small fee to store it there while they're waiting for the gold price to skyrocket, so it will all be worth the... Wait a minute... Hmmm.... :|

My thinking:

It's generally better to buy shares in a proven gold producer than gold itself when the price of gold is likely to rise.

i.e.: If gold is currently at $1,200/oz and it costs a company $1,000/oz to produce, then their profit per ounce is $200 or 20% ($200/$1,000).

Now, if gold rises from $1,200/oz to say $1,400/oz (a 17% increase), and it still costs the company $1,000/oz to produce, then their profit has risen to 40% ($1,400/$1,000). More than doubling their profits, whereas gold only rose by 17%.

Yes, their taxes will rise, but so likely will be their efforts to expand and produce more.

Of course, the opposite it true if the price of gold falls. But if you believe in gold surging, then it would make more sense to buy shares in a proven gold producer than buying gold itself IMHO.

This is the kind of thread title that will pop up in related Google searches and start annoying and misleading rumours... ;)

Baz.

BigWave said:
My thinking:

It's generally better to buy shares in a proven gold producer than gold itself when the price of gold is likely to rise.

i.e.: If gold is currently at $1,200/oz and it costs a company $1,000/oz to produce, then their profit per ounce is $200 or 20% ($200/$1,000).

Now, if gold rises from $1,200/oz to say $1,400/oz (a 17% increase), and it still costs the company $1,000/oz to produce, then their profit has risen to 40% ($1,400/$1,000). More than doubling their profits, whereas gold only rose by 17%.

Yes, their taxes will rise, but so likely will be their efforts to expand and produce more.

Of course, the opposite it true if the price of gold falls. But if you believe in gold surging, then it would make more sense to buy shares in a proven gold producer than buying gold itself IMHO.

The share price and success of a Gold Mining company can often depend on more than the gold price.
They also need leases on ground with really good reserves.

A good example of a good gold mining company in recent times is NST:ASX
They have leases over some very good ground at a number of different mines.
If you invested $10,000 AUD in them 8 years ago would have been a great investment.

Some gold mining companies have gone badly in times of good gold price.

DykeHead said:
Does the price of gold really fluctuate? Or is it the currencies that fluctuate?
Gold itself has been showing a slight increase recently, although as you know it has been largely a depreciating Australian dollar prior to that.

BigWave said:
My thinking:

Probably easier to get a return this way (a bit late to get in on gold now except as a hedge against catastrophe).

These gold price threads are one of the few places where company advertising is advanced to us as financial advice - "Matterhorn Asset Managements global client base strategically stores an important part of their wealth in Switzerland in physical gold and silver outside the banking system". And of course it is Matterhorn Asset Management who owns the website and who is advising you what to do. Keep in mind that they are not doing it primarily to help you, but to assist their profit bottom-line (whether or not the advice is good or bad). They presumably make money if you buy gold...regardless of what direction the price moves in.

Nightjar said:
May have to hold our breath for a millennium or so to see gold price reach $10,000.
What will a loaf of bread cost?

Gold sales 1900 = US$20.68

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268027/change-in-gold-price-since-1990/
A bad app - have to pay to read your link.

And what an exaggeration - not a millenium, probably 50 years or even less :) Some of us may be around still.....

Actually bread has gone up x50 since 1800 - which is not hugely different to gold given the time period over which you would have held your gold (or bread?) in your safe. Less than 100% return over more than a hundred years :)

Latest posts