Gold Sounds Question - GPZ7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a newly bought GPZ 7000 and I have yet to get much time on it in the field. I have 3 grams of 'loose' alluvial gold in a vial which I found hi-banking.

My question is.... Would a 3 gram nugget sound louder or different than the 3 grams of alluvial gold in the vial (22 ct) when you scan it with the GPZ 7000? or would it be about the same. I tried my 18 ct gold wedding band and that thing screamed compared to the vial. The ring weighs 10 grams.

Geez, you're doing allright 3D, I'm lucky if i get to 'sleep' in the same bed, let alone get 10 gram wedding band :lol: :lol:
I run an sdc so can't comment except to say that Nenad said in one of the posts that the 7 is better at picking out solid nuggets rather that 'honey combed' types of nugs. So that could be it with the loose alluvial not giving back a signal. If it's screaming on a ten gram ring you should be fine i reckon out in the field on solid nugs i would think.
good luck :)

I wouldn't worry about air test signals too much. They're a guide & that's about it. The signal from an in-situ 3 gram nugget (or any nugget) will/can vary, depending on a lot of variables like shape, depth, how it's positioned, approach, ground etc., but it should still be a good clear signal & obviously stronger if shallow.

A few days ago i had a .98 gram nugget about 2cm deep make a sound like EMI a weird warble.

I literally stopped looked around thinking another detectorist had arrived and saw nobody.
Swung over the nugget again and got the same sound this time thinking it was obviously a big lump of lead lol then got a nice surprise.

To answer the question.
I think you would need a nice solid little nugget instead of small flakes to get a good idea of what sounds to listen for.
I could be wrong though.

I like the idea of using a 50 cent coin to indicate a nugget, particularly if you do not have a nugget to try. Next trip out there. Thanks, Cheers John46.

Written in the 1985 manuals for VLF detectors and still stands to this day,
A round ring of non ferrous material will cause any detector to sound loud and strong. LOL
A Gold ring is the absolute best you could ask for as it is seen as a bloody huge antenna.
why do you think we have fun with pull tabs. Same reason.
It takes a bit of theory to understand what is going on here.
I myself can see in a way why porous gold is hard to detect.
Same reason why that spy plane is invisible to Radar, Many Facets facing away from the source.
Any way, Nenad can correct me. :) :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. All makes sense. I usually do not rely on 'air tests' myself, but being a new detector and wanting to learn, I did the obvious. I was at home too and I guess the EMI would have been bad. But in saying that, I did get the Z to run pretty stable.

I am headed out again with the Z next week for a week long trip, so hopefully I will find a real nugget and I then can have a real test piece! :) I have been tempted to buy a small one from flea bay, but I figure I'll find one soon enough.... :)

A 50c coin is too big a target to use as a test piece and it's very easy. You need something a lot less conductive. The lowest conductor in modern coinage is a 5c coin, but that is still a pretty easy target to a GPZ. If you don't have a solid nugget (as you say, you will soon enough) then get a small lead sinker, 5mm in diameter or so. Beat it up a bit with some jagged rocks and the signal will pretty much resemble what a nugget of similar size would sound like.

Nenad

Personally, I don't put a lot of importance on deciphering the different sounds? if it is repeatable it needs to investigated, even if it is the slightest variable signal, use a small bird shot to get familiar with the sound of a signal & that is about it, time spent swinging it & digging targets will hone your skills, remember you're listening for any variation in the threshold not just loud signals !!! they are the easy ones.
cheers
Lee

PhaseTech said:
A 50c coin is too big a target to use as a test piece and it's very easy. You need something a lot less conductive. The lowest conductor in modern coinage is a 5c coin, but that is still a pretty easy target to a GPZ. If you don't have a solid nugget (as you say, you will soon enough) then get a small lead sinker, 5mm in diameter or so. Beat it up a bit with some jagged rocks and the signal will pretty much resemble what a nugget of similar size would sound like.

Nenad

Using either a GPZ 7000 or an SDC 2300 will give you small lead shotgun pellets in no time, so these can be used as test pieces similar to smaller gold. :D

rc62burke said:
Personally, I don't put a lot of importance on deciphering the different sounds? if it is repeatable it needs to investigated, even if it is the slightest variable signal, use a small bird shot to get familiar with the sound of a signal & that is about it, time spent swinging it & digging targets will hone your skills, remember you're listening for any variation in the threshold not just loud signals !!! they are the easy ones.
cheers
Lee

I'm with you RC ................ if it's alien to my ear I dig it.
;)

I agree with RC I used to melt lead and drop small amounts into a water filled bucket to get strange shapes like nuggets... Id then plant them at different depths to help me A. tune my detector and B. tune my brain.

but as has been said before if its a noise dig it and learn the sounds of different objects..... practice lots

May the yellow find you

Red

Latest posts