Gold nuggets with Xterra 705 gold pack

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum AGH,.... let that search button up the top loose with a few searches on PA under the topic 705 ;)

For those areas your better off setting the machine up in one of the coin patterns, and run the accept/reject wide open. (no black segments at the bottom of the screen) Beep-n-dig....and look/listen for more than one target under the coil.
Target areas near the diggings with visible trash left behind by the old timers. If working the mullock heaps, switch to the 10x5"coil, but keep using it in a coin mode. The 18.75khz gives better resolution to small targets, and the fact its in a disc program helps tame some of the more nosier ground types your likely to encounter in those areas. its also a DD coil so has by design ground handling built in.
Using it in the AM mode will do your head in with noisy ground conditions and hot rocks. Using it as above will give you a much more pleasurable outing.

Lastly, dont give up, there is still gold being found by uses of VLF detectors in those locations...i know this, cause im one of them.

AUSSIEGOLDHUNTER said:
so basically use the coin/relic coil and use it in coin/treasure mode, with 0 discrimination?
Well you could, but the concentric coils came in different frequencies...and im not sure which one you have.?

The 7.5khz or 3khz are more relic coils.....the concentric 18.75khz and 10x5"18.75khz would be a far better prospect for gold.

Use the gold coils on the goldfields. Start with factory presets. If it's noisy try dropping the threshold setting a notch or 2. Then look at the sensitivity, if the detector is running quiet, try bumping 1 or 2 digits, if noisy drop it down.

I find for a beginner the best thing is to get the detector running smooth ( as against warbling) and reasonably quiet. Also unlike the GPX5000 I have with a speaker next to my ear the X terra speaker is near your hand and difficult to hear, so headphone use is a must.

I have the 705 Goldpack with the Concentric 7.5kHz coil and the 6" elliptical DD 18.75kHz. I've used it mainly at the beach with the concentric, but I'll be going to the GT in a few weeks for a month, so I'll give it a bit of a gowith the DDs on the mullock heaps using the 6" mainly for small stuff.

Another thing is use fixed GB with the DDs, but ground balance often. It's possible to track out small stuff if you use tracking mode. At least until more experienced.

I guess my advantage is that if I have no success in short order with the 705, I can go back to my 5000........

Added by edit......Get some small lead shot, air test the detector to begin with and adjust settings a bit to get the best response. Then dig a hole and bury the shot at various depths to see what happens. (put the shot in a 2" square bit of duct tape folded over when burying it makes it easier to retrieve) Doing this may help your confidence in the detector working as you want it too.

I've found hundreds of lead shots, bullet shells and many metal tools and even a few coins out in my local gold areas but just can't seem to find the gold. Thanks heaps for all your helps guys I will have to go out and try out the tips use have gave me and see what I come up with. Cheers.

If you're finding lead bullets you can find gold.
The gold doesn't give itself up easily!

I recently came back from a trip up the palmer I was using a 4500 with a big 17 inch mono and my friend a 705with a small concentric mono,I checked quite a few of my targets with his machine as he was not going well. I can confirm that the 705 with gold mode and some iron discrim was working almost as well on all targets but was obviously covering a lot smaller area. I felt that he needed to go back to no one plan ,go very slow and low. This began to have results immediately. I found that his 705 needed to ground balance frequently to get the most out of it.

Hi all,

Been lurking for a couple of months so thought it might be time to make a contribution. I'm a newbie to metal detecting - I've had an X-terra 705 since Christmas. Have made day trips to Whipstick, Vaughan, Castlemaine and Heathcote and really struggled with the ground mineralisation. No gold.

Last week I went on a day tour to Creswick with Gold & Relics 'Gold Prospecting Adventures'. Very informative and worthwhile. Got to swing a GPX5000 but wish I'd had a go of the SDC2300 as well now.

Went back to Creswick today (same area) to have a go with the 705. The mineralisation wasn't as bad as I was expecting - had tracking on and it mostly wavered in the teens to the twenties, and the sensitivity was usable up into to mid twenties.

While there I came across a guy named Louis who was prospecting the same area with his SDC and young son in tow. Louis was happy to share his knowledge and gave me some great tips. While we were talking he picked up a target. He offered the target to me but I couldn't accept - I just swung the 705 over it as a comparison. The target gave me a sharpish little response in prospecting mode and ID'd between -8 and 48, which would have been enough for me to have a dig.

Louis brushed a bit of surface dirt away with his hand and spotted a small speck of gold which he picked out and immediately gave to me! He ran his detector over the spot again and the target was still there. After a little more VERY careful digging Louis uncovered another small nugget much bigger than the first (but still sub gram). The way Louis performed his dig was a real eye-opener. I'm sure I would have sent both pieces rolling down the hill with my first swing of the pick!

I thanked Louis and went on my way with much more confidence. Managed to find a number of .22 slugs and smaller pieces of lead among the usual trash but unfortunately still no gold for me. I'm planning on upgrading to a PI detector as soon as funds allow but in the meantime I think I'll persevere with the 705 a bit longer.

Cheers,
Graeme

I'm a poor bugger (possibly soon to be poorer) but I've got a Kogan detector and determination... might see if I can get out to Creswick tomorrow to have a swing... I'll be expecting more coins and tent pegs but if I happy to strike it lucky and get any indication of gold I will be one happy chappy. The fun is in the searching anyway (isn't that what all us goldless people say? ;) )

Hi Walks
Welcome to PA
I have the exterra 705 gold with the 18.75 dd coil.Although the ground around kilkiven Qld is not as hot as where you are i can still pick up sub gram nuggets down a few inches the bigger the nugget the deeper it will detect.In prospecting mode use headphones as the small deep ones can easily be ;) missed.But if you listen very carfully you can hear them.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think confidence plays a big part in this game. If you have seen gold come out of the ground first hand, and you know that your detector can actually 'see' it, you will have the confidence to persist.

Using my 705 I will get some sort of response just about every step. The trick is in learning the difference between a real target and ground noise - just takes practice I guess, and a lot of digging.

Good luck.

G day everyone i have recently bought a xterra 705 and I was talking it up to Whroo in Victoria trying to find gold. I was wondering if anyone could please help me with the setup for the gold on the xterra. Cheers

got a new xterra 705 ( first detector), and want to know how to set it up. would appreciate anyone in the Gladstone area (central qld) with knowledge or experience with detecting providing a tutorial. I'm familiar with the area, and can show the way around, but need help getting machine up and running. if you know of detecting club in local area, that could be a start. ta, cqdigger. :rainbow:

Latest posts