Gold in Melbourne and Suburbs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nirvanadirt said:
There must be access to the spoils of other TBM cut projects somewhere?! I was just reading an article on here last night about how people were finding nuggets all over Melbourne in the early days of settlement and as it was illegal The authorities discouraged it and people head their findings but there is apparently quite a bit of gold just a few feet down all through Richmond south Iran and the top of Swanston Street, Lonsdale street that has all been built over. So that gold must've come from some veins somewhere and I'm wondering if one of these TBM's might have run through any grief it would be interesting to have someone swing one of their magic wands over some of the stuff that has come out of tunnels drooled under Melbourne. There have been a tonne of projects including the aquarium project that a friend of mine worked on and as they were trying to keep the water level back someone apparent found a little nug in the cuttings. CFMEU guys so the story spread (the nug prob gained .5g every Chinese whisper) but the source is reliable. I know that there is a creek that runs under the ej whiten bridge that is near a quarry (what they're quarrying I'm not sure) but the hill that goes down to the creek either side is muddy as all hell with rounded and sharp stone all through it. People 4WD through there all the time and it's steep enough to wash anything down the hill with a good rain, has anyone ever prospected around there?
See #6 and #14 above - given the cost of those projects, noone would care a lot (although no doubt some specimens go into pockets for the interest. Gold is common - lots of gold is not.

Def not common enough for a noob like myself!! I've been armchair fossicking for years trying to inform myself on the subject to as much as I can from the science point of view before I start to have a go at getting my hands dirty. I love the part in the article at the top of this thread where it says a brickie cut a brick and found a nugget! now I think my builders and clients are going to have a lot more than the normal 10% wastage as I go hammering through every brick on the job before I lay it (being a brickie of course) muhahaha??
I've had so many hobbies in the past that have kept me from getting involved in this more seriously I can't ill now so fingers crossed you're right Goldilocks and gold is common!!
If you hear someone cursing in the bush saying "fu***n common hey?!"come over and say g'day ?

Nirvanadirt said:
Def not common enough for a noob like myself!! I've been armchair fossicking for years trying to inform myself on the subject to as much as I can from the science point of view before I start to have a go at getting my hands dirty. I love the part in the article at the top of this thread where it says a brickie cut a brick and found a nugget! now I think my builders and clients are going to have a lot more than the normal 10% wastage as I go hammering through every brick on the job before I lay it (being a brickie of course) muhahaha??r times.
I've had so many hobbies in the past that have kept me from getting involved in this more seriously I can't ill now so fingers crossed you're right Goldilocks and gold is common!!
If you hear someone cursing in the bush saying "fu***n common hey?!"come over and say g'day ?
:) I hear you. But I could take you to places where you could knock gold out of outcropping quartz within city limits, within 20 minutes. A 1 cm quartz vein with pinhead size specks is not all that interesting. Better to occasionally get a few gm lump and nothing other times. But on a multi-billion dollar engineering project, I think the boss could get peed off at people scratching around in the walls instead of laying reinforcement (more my meaning). And it is not as romantic next to a tunnel-boring machine or pile-driver....

We used to get it in the excavation at the RMIT underground station.

Deepseeker said:
Jaros said:
Bugger, I lived a stones throw from Diamond Creek Tel. Exch. and up the hill was the mine--If only I had the urge, but my main urge involved a Honey blonde lady in Wattle Glen at the time---ooohh!! Memories. ;)

That is actually quite funny Jaros. When I met my ex-wife, she had just moved from Wattle Glen. She shared a Mudbrick house there with her ex, who was an ex Telstra Tech. And yep, she was a Blonde too. That is just too spooky :skull:

Maybe we all should have just gone prospecting in the gold mine instead! :lol:

Great memories of the Diamond Creek fish and chip shop, and weekends at the St Andrews market :Y:

Hmmmm! Jaros has "gone to ground" ;)

Yeah I gettcha, thought that if there's some open area that's just being filled with dump truck after dump truck I'll spoil on flat ground that it might be worth a peek but you're probably right,!! It's all the Melbourne being built over goldridge soil articles that people have been posting the got my mind a rasing!

Nirvanadirt said:
There must be access to the spoils of other TBM cut projects somewhere?! I was just reading an article on here last night about how people were finding nuggets all over Melbourne in the early days of settlement and as it was illegal The authorities discouraged it and people head their findings but there is apparently quite a bit of gold just a few feet down all through Richmond south Iran and the top of Swanston Street, Lonsdale street that has all been built over. So that gold must've come from some veins somewhere and I'm wondering if one of these TBM's might have run through any grief it would be interesting to have someone swing one of their magic wands over some of the stuff that has come out of tunnels drooled under Melbourne. There have been a tonne of projects including the aquarium project that a friend of mine worked on and as they were trying to keep the water level back someone apparent found a little nug in the cuttings. CFMEU guys so the story spread (the nug prob gained .5g every Chinese whisper) but the source is reliable. I know that there is a creek that runs under the ej whiten bridge that is near a quarry (what they're quarrying I'm not sure) but the hill that goes down to the creek either side is muddy as all hell with rounded and sharp stone all through it. People 4WD through there all the time and it's steep enough to wash anything down the hill with a good rain, has anyone ever prospected around there?

These Gold Deposits that were found in Melb was the results of gravel taken from Studly Park and laid for paths & pavements and building sites at the time.

D

Detrack said:
Nirvanadirt said:

These Gold Deposits that were found in Melb was the results of gravel taken from Studly Park and laid for paths & pavements and building sites at the time.

D
Quartz veins with gold have often been found when digging building foundations in parts of the CBD

Re Sunshine and Whitten bridge area - gold reported in 19th century and still being intersected in drill holes there in the 1990s.

Gold is very common if small enough amounts are interesting to you - occurs throughout the Melbourne area and suburbs. But 19th C miners were trying to get rich or at least put food on the table - they were not much impressed by a speck or two. A minimum of an ounce per week average was needed to sustain life for a family. Closest operating gold-quartz mines to Melbourne were places like Greensborough, South Morang, Ringwood, North Balwyn, Warrandyte, Templestowe, Diamond Creek, Mornington, Whittlesea, Emerald and Kalkallo. Largest were Ringwood, Warrandyte and Diamond Creek (the last 1.6 tonnes of gold from the quartz mine there). We don't know what they got out of the creeks as they were soon worked out - but production was small.

Very good gold reading in the Werribee Treatment Ponds .

Think about , why

Do you have the answer?

Detrack said:

Think about , why

Do you have the answer?

Because human shit in quantity contains all sorts of stuff including gold which tends to settle and accumulate when conditions allow.

Detrack said:

Think about , why

Do you have the answer?

Well, there have been poo ponds down that way since the late 1800's. When you think that most people had gold fillings back in the day, that may go some way to explaining it. I think we have all swallowed a filling or two at some time while eating. :)

Yes Deepseeker very true

The other is with all the waste that has run though the sewer lines and the amount of broken pipes and earth that has been washed to the pump station also adds to the fact the gold ends up in the ponds.

The richer ponds are the old open ponds that were used for a good 100 years and are still open dry ponds, all the ponds that are used to day are sealed with rubber bladders that's why there is no some.l these days when you drive down to Geelong.

They suck the gas out of the Bladders as well and pipe it.. :perfect: :perfect:

These ponds are the riches new goldfield west of Melb. :playful:

You Will not get reading like this in Dunolly .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjAAJsWNr6L-Y8kLMdoUTCsMln3dY5Pj/view?usp=sharing

Download the KML file and loaded into Google Earth if you have it installed on your PC

:goldpan: :goldpan:

1623046316_ppb_werribe_sewerage_ponds.jpg

A Mates cousin knows the security guards that patrol the Werribee plant.
Tells me they are getting prospectors trespass and illegally mining at night down there, when caught and interviewed
they say they are doing it because of U Tube and forum posts. :poop: :poop: :poop:

Guards call them the Pooh hunters. :idea:

No Mate

There looking for all the rings and chain that have full off the hands as they wipe there bum. :awful:

Swinging & digging said:
Guards call them the Pooh hunters. :idea:

:lol: :lol:

And don't forget this post from Madtuna, showing someone's gold teeth that he came across.
1623052534_goldteeth.jpg

Although not found in a poo pond, I'd imagine if someone was having a a good spew they could easily lose some gold falsies down the loo

Latest posts