Gold in black rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1384159322_image.jpg

Found some pieces in this black stone , as well as a little nug and some other smaller stuff. Was wondering if this means you are getting closer to source? As they are still attached to rock?
Thanks
Barney

King S - they look a little water worn to be close to the source but I am not sure of the area you were in. The black rocks matrix is interesting - hard to tell but it could be ironstone? The old loaming trick is to keep panning UP the creek until the gold stops or gets scarce and then go at angles from the creek-line, usually uphill. The gold is be at the end of the erosion process, in which case you may be closer than you think. Any elevated diggings upstream?

That is an excellent photo by the way, one of the best I have seen. Congratulations on a most informative post!

Could also be tin, raw tin looks like black rock, as for being close to the source your guess is good as mine, i would say you are but I've been wrong before... ALOT :lol:

useless post i know, but it is said that tin forms in the same types of environment as gold down this way and if your finding tin gold ain't far away, so that would be a good sign.
UNFORTUNATELY the gold down this way is smaller then a fleas little toe even at the source

Hi All

Its quite common to have more than one source for gold in a river system. Often there are several gold veins in a region. The material with the gold on or in it looks like what geologists call a gossan. This is the surface expression of a sulphide bearing vein where the sulphide (usually pyrite) has weathered to iron oxides. Its a good indicator that primary gold is at least within the catchement of the creek it has been found in.

Araluen

My guess would be ironstone but as it is said its hard to tell through photos. If you got this gold out of a crevice it may not have been exposed to the same amount of weathering as other gold, Therefore keeping its original matrix, which could mean it came from great distance and found it's way into the crevice until you unearthed it.

Cheers,

GT

hard to tell from the picks but looks exactly like the gold we get in creswick from the red collapsed walls of slaty creek.

Latest posts