gold detecting , smallest speck and largest lump whats yours ?????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey every body I just thought this would be good food for thought , so I am asking what is the smallest your detector has recovered and the largest , Maybe list the detector used and depth, maybe even soil type, just purely out of interest :)

I am on the verge of getting something to swing so I thought this may just be useful brain food ,especially the smallest as I seem to have a knack with the sluice of getting tiny gold :D

Heatho said:
I've got a few that don't even register on scales. Was my SDC, pretty close to the surface, maybe 1cm deep. Ground was quite Shaley and quite mineralised.
that's great :D to know its the sdc that im hoping to swing , how many decimal points do the scales go eg. 0.00 ,

aussiefarmer said:
Heatho said:
I've got a few that don't even register on scales. Was my SDC, pretty close to the surface, maybe 1cm deep. Ground was quite Shaley and quite mineralised.
that's great :D to know its the sdc that im hoping to swing , how many decimal points do the scales go eg. 0.00 ,

They were 0.00 scales AF. SDC is a great machine, extremely sensitive and very easy to use. Though you'can get a GPX4500 probably cheaper than an SDC these days. 4500 is not quite as sensitive but will beat the SDC on depth with bigger gold.

Have a few that don't register on the scales found with 8" and 11" monos on a 4500. Biggest to date is 3.33g with the evolution 17x13" smallest so far with that coil is 0.11

I'm not sure I like hearing about the biggest , got some serious nugget envy going on. Love the smallest though. My biggest is only 1 .5 g but got lots of the smallest. My favorite the misuses gold shot. Doesn't registar but looks cool in the fry pan.
1448357127_image.jpg

this is great , will small bits signal if there is a lot of micro alluvial gold or do they need to be sitting on there own ? if that makes sense :rolleyes: so somewhere I would normally sluice for flour gold would it still define the 0.02 bits ?

No idea really but I would think that it would have to be really concentrated in a very small area to get any sort of response

my question was more will it signal a 0.02 g piece if there's fine gold about or would it get distracted lol :lol:
while I am asking silly questions would it pay to use it until I found a piece and then test pan or sluice that area ?

aussiefarmer said:
my question was more will it signal a 0.02 g piece if there's fine gold about or would it get distracted lol :lol:
while I am asking silly questions would it pay to use it until I found a piece and then test pan or sluice that area ?

That's a really interesting question. I know that with my detector, after going over a large piece of metal, it will certainly overload for a bit. It takes a second or two to be able to detect another separate piece of metal. The question is what size a piece of metal has a noticeable effect on the detector's ability to detect another...

I can tell you that in practice, if I'm detecting in creeks or rivers and I pick up a nugget, they're almost always in crevices, and those crevices are well worth panning. About a year ago I was detecting a small creek near Corinna, in NW Tasmania, and I picked up a signal under a cobble bank. The signal was a little 0.2 g nugget that was sitting in a crack that was hidden by the cobbles covering it. I then panned the whole contents of the crack and got about 2 g of gold off 3 pan's worth of wash. Most of it was fairly fine, but there were several detectable-size pieces that were just too deep.

great pic timau its shinning like somebody dropped it :D

I know I keep taking my own post off topic :rolleyes: but does the ground moisture have any effect ? as in is wet ground more conductive to signal or is dry ground more effective or does it have zero difference ?

Latest posts