gold around gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A mate has gem leases at Anakie and Saphire. He was telling me
good gold had been found further down tomahawk creek. Also thinks
the bush from Anakie to Clermont gold has been found in hills and gullies.
Have done research and found no info on gold around this area.
Will go for a swing, has anyone heard of gold found in these areas.

Polky

Did you have a look or any luck searching?

Gold and gemstones can have a relation depending on what the strata and minerals are doing. Around my area ( vic ) there's granite which varies in compositions of minerals which formed types of crystals and gems around a massive radius. The genstones like sapphire and ruby tend to be more the granites with high alluminium content, where as amethyst and quartz / silica based crystal points are formed many km away where pegmatites and crystal structures went through slow cooling to form large crystals with nice flat edges fully formed.

Depending if gold was in the solutions that were brought up in things like granites and quartz under high temperatures and pressure from the earths core, you may or can find gold in these areas of 'high mineralisation'. Gold relates to various mixtures of minerals in an area, some good signs for my area are tin, copper, antimony and pyrite.

If gold was in a silicate based hydrothermal like quartz veins, it has been known for gold to be found at the base of quartz crystals as well as all through the quartz mass itself. Gold gets deposited along certain circumstances and patterns can be formed or unique deposts can be formed, most scenarios with each area is a different story though, but if the basic signs of mineralisation, strata and formations are there, gold will be there too.

I've read and heard the nanes of the places you have mentioned many tines, so I don't see why you won't see gold as soon as you get to most creeks in that area :) to top it off, you score lots of nice colorful sapphire and all sorts too. Good luck mate, love to hear or see through photos what you find!

Hi Polky
Over the years I have spent quite a few winters fossicking for sapphires at Tomahawk Creek and on one occasion whilst getting water from one of the very few waterholes at the back of the fossicking reserve, met an old bloke who told me that some nice nuggets have been found whilst washing for sapphires near the water hole.

Don't know if its fact but looking at the mineral makeup of the area, its quite possible.

Cheers

Thanks for the info fellas. Yet to get out there.
Mates wife found nice saphire last month.
Cut and polished, gem buyer offered $1500.
Now she has callanged me to find some colour
to make a ring for the stone.

polky

Latest posts