Gidday from Brissy.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minkawilson

Wayne
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am from Collingwood Park (Brisbane) and have bought a new detector Garret AT GOLD 6 months ago. I have been out once for a day trip to Warwick to start but only found fencing wire.. I have been interested and looking at doing this for years, but work and life has always delayed it, so now I have plenty of time at the moment. Was thinking of going on a trip for 1 to 4 weeks detecting in February and I cant make up my mind where to go -Nth QLD, NSW, VIC or WA. Queensland maybe out due to the wet season, but I am not worried to drive to Vic or across the Nullabor....

If you had the chance, where would you go with a good chance of finding nuggets and to have a great getaway...? Distance doesn't matter, but would like to have hassle free access. I have a 4wd and camping gear, so not scared to rough it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne

Welcome to the forum Wayne. Prospecting is a great way to spend your spare time.....especially when you are graced with having plenty of time up your sleeve. The AT Gold is a good entry level detector for chasing nuggets and many a nugget has been found with them.

You're picking an extremely difficult month to take a holiday detecting. WA is one place i would steer clear of until at least May, don't need a cooker over there this time of year, as you can fry eggs by leaving the frypan out in the sun.

You're best bet would be on the coastal fringes and possibly, if you want to travel a bit further, the GT in Victoria. (though it's not much better than WA at the moment).

Hope you get some good advice from the forum members, and wish you the best success with the hobby,

Cheers Wal.

I have a mate that travels to the foothills of the Snowys every year, but he only gets the summer months for holidays, so he heads to south coast of nsw (merimbula) if it gets to hot. Point being he's a mad prospecter, and gets in around bendoc, on the Vic border with good returns. He tells me they left more than a decent amount behind because it was so remote. I was reading up not more than 3 months ago about some test drilling that had occurred there. Sounded promising. And there's a pub, if that's your thing. I'd love to go one day just to see if its as good as he says, but some of the beautiful surrounds would be worth the drive in by itself. I distinctly remember calling him up just after black Saturday and he was in relative 27 degree comfort , while I was sitting in the pool in the shade at a hefty 43! If you looking for gold in a temperature environment, in Feb, that's my $0.02. Wherever you decide I how you have a great trip. GT.

Thanks Wal and GT.

Unfortunately I cant hang out until winter as I have to get back to working, maybe???.

I think I have come up with a plan which doesn't involve driving in to the heat. Since I have a number of weeks/months up my sleeve, I may go down to Northern NSW. Starting at Bingara - Barraba - Nundle - Gloucester then driving back up the coast. There seems to have been some gold come from behind Coffs and Woolgoolga, so will give them ago also on the way back. From what I can find out there are a lot of old diggings in these places in state forests (easier than approaching disgruntled land owners), so I will enquire about the relevant permits.

I am have been researching and found stories and maps where they pulled nuggets, as I don't have a pan or other gear and these places seemed to have them previously.

Hopefully I am on the right track :cool: If not... I can hear the New England trout calling.

cheers

Wayne

You're on the right track for sure Wayne. You would be driving over a lot of good gold to get to Vic and WA, and your time would certainly be better spent checking out the closer regions at this time of the year.

The experience you gain by having more detecting time will be invaluable when the big trip to WA eventuates. ;)

Good luck with it mate and keep us all informed with the progress.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal.

Will let you know.

Just been making sure my places are not in the SCA's of which I just discovered. A few were and others in the National Parks which I have deleted, but have a heap of places to check out side of these areas where gold has been previously found.

Half the fun is in the research, once you start it is hard to stop 8)

cheers
Wayne.

Latest posts