Geologist Here, wanting to learn more.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a geo by trade and have worked in Oz, Laos, Philippines, Africa, Mongolia etc. That does not mean I know much about prospecting.

Keen to learn more from you guys.

Also looking to possibly buy an alluvial lease near Gympie, where do I look?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Max.

I think Yobskin is the resident expert on Gympie on this site?
Look him up in the member profiles and maybe make contact via PM or email, i think he is VERY active in that district? ;)

Welcome geomax,

I love your comment about being a geo yet still not knowing much about prospecting. Shows you how far the trades have diverged in the last hundred or so years!

Here is one I like:

1438908566_fb_img_1434370023622.jpg

it can be very hard to find anough gold to make a living these days.. most leases for sale will not be viable as a business unfortunately.. If they were they would already have been worked by the owners.. But the old timers did not get it all.. we all dream on.. :)

Welcome to the forum Geomax, I hope you enjoy the forum, and get some useful tips from the guys. :)

Here's a cartoon that probably explains why my brother went into geology profession, maths was never one of his strengths. ;)

1438928073_calvin_geol.jpg

silver said:
Where in the world(roughly) are you GM ?

Working in Mongolia, based in the Philippines, but get back to Oz every few months (originally from QLD). Looking at maybe settling down in Qld, hence the interest to find something that makes money.

Geomax,... of the world,...good on you,... I think we will want to see your photo album now,..and some sunrises/sets,....full on,...glad I asked. :D

Here is one from Mindanao, in the south west of the Philippines. Not many round eyes venture into this area.

1438947560_dsc_0087.jpg

Hi Geomax, nice pics, especially like the Mindanao landscape. I spent a little time backpacking in SE Asia a few years ago Laos was my favourite place. A lot of interesting landscapes and incredibly friendly people. Your background in geology will definitely make the transition into prospecting easier; with a general understanding of the fundamentals of mineral and rock formation, erosion, mineral identification etc.
What type of work were you doing over there? Exploration drilling?
If I ever get back up there I'll be taking a classifier and pan for sure!
Welcome from another newbie to the scene
Burden

Nothing like a good bit of mountain erosion to set the mind on gems and gold,.. and are they houses in the second picky GM. :eek:

burden said:
Hi Geomax, nice pics, especially like the Mindanao landscape. I spent a little time backpacking in SE Asia a few years ago Laos was my favourite place. A lot of interesting landscapes and incredibly friendly people. Your background in geology will definitely make the transition into prospecting easier; with a general understanding of the fundamentals of mineral and rock formation, erosion, mineral identification etc.
What type of work were you doing over there? Exploration drilling?
If I ever get back up there I'll be taking a classifier and pan for sure!
Welcome from another newbie to the scene
Burden

Hi Burden, I have been doing both drilling and mine geo work, a bit of everything. Laos is great, but Philippines is fun too. Everyone speaks English and cheap to get around. You should venture over one day.

Latest posts