General National Weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got up this morning at 4am and decided to make a cuppa, heard it just starting to sprinkle, got back to bed about 4.30am and the rain just let go, house gutters overflowing, unable to get back to sleep for the noise. Wife has just checked and we had 43mm in a sudden downpour, dam is overflowing again and again we got to keep the gravel on our driveway instead of having to go out on the road and shovel it all back. :Y: :Y: The prediction was 70% of 1 to 5 mm. 8.15am and has just started again.

Big water leak here
river conditions map
I'm liking watching this(that cyclonic water flow) :cloudy:
1554411107_screenshot_2019-04-05-06-44-59.jpg

link to site
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/flood/index.shtml
I'll just edit in a full map for future reference (be fair to everyone) :Y:
1554411380_screenshot_2019-04-05-06-54-27.jpg

Ok, so we decided to come to Victoria GT for a bit of a holiday and see what we could find, been here a bit over a week, it poured on the afternoon of the day we arrived and we were told to be careful on some of the tracks being a bit boggy, the place looked barren on our first trip, some dams looked like they had received a bit of water, most were empty. Yesterday we noticed that a lot of the area now has a green tinge to the bare soil, it was was cold and windy and last night it rained and rained, looks like Marborough has had just over 40mm, if we get out at all today it will be bitumen roads for a while until it settles. We seem to have rain follow us when we go on holidays. Just on a side note the price of the petrol in Maryborough jumped 10c a litre yesterday, must be Trump and China thing.

Myself and "The Tester " are planning a trip to Nerrigundah
tomorrow.
Don't worry, It will rain for sure. :mad:

Was supposed to clear around the 9am mark, but looks like it is here for today, just swirling around. Maryborogh has had about 55mm since it started, we always seem to be able to get a fair bit of wet weather when we go on holidays. Maybe that explains why we have not been for about 6 years, too wet where ever we go. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also looks like it is raining over our normal area of living, making sure we get the message.

1557454049_b0aca365-f25e-461d-9653-d345d89ea2e6.jpg

Farmers around here might be happy to see us come down again in another 12 months. :playful: :playful:

Lucky I have the 4x4, planning to go out tomorrow for my first go witht he GM1000, have had 35mm at home and around Ballarat over 40mm. Much needed.

I took great interest in the winter of 1982 here in Melbourne, as I was then living in the very outer Eastern fringes. It was a clear, blue, and bitterly cold winter. Frosts abounded, and there was bugger-all rain.

It was followed of course by the Ash Wednesday fires the following summer. I spent that event on the back of a CFA truck. I learnt that wild-fire is evil and malevolent. A couple of my colleagues went home after their stint at those fires on our two trucks, and we never saw them again. Panton Hill also lost a fire truck. And everyone on it. That was our neighbouring brigade.

The same type of winter was well in evidence during the prolonged dry 2000 through 2010, although perhaps not as severe as 1982.

This year, it appears the patterns are shaping up similarly. Same sunny days, same cold nights. Same overall low rainfall, with infrequent localised dumps that fail to make up the deficit.

It would be nice to be wrong though.

Another dry winter will sort the boys from the men , this summer we put in 6 new dams and extended two old ones plus we doubled the amount of feed off crops we put in. Prevention is better than a cure imo. 80% of our stock are grazing on crops at the moment giving our pastures a chance to grow plus we stopped feeding cattle 4 weeks ago and they are putting on weight pre calving on crop.
Put it this way , a semi load of hay is around $10000 bucks , you can sow around 100 acres of oats for 10k and run alot of stock on that for 6 to 8 months , so its a no brainer for us.
I actually still have about 15 ton of blackbutt oat seed for sale if anyone near the southern tablelands is looking for a quality feed grain to sow.

aussiefarmer said:
Another dry winter will sort the boys from the men , this summer we put in 6 new dams and extended two old ones plus we doubled the amount of feed off crops we put in. Prevention is better than a cure imo. 80% of our stock are grazing on crops at the moment giving our pastures a chance to grow plus we stopped feeding cattle 4 weeks ago and they are putting on weight pre calving on crop.
Put it this way , a semi load of hay is around $10000 bucks , you can sow around 100 acres of oats for 10k and run alot of stock on that for 6 to 8 months , so its a no brainer for us.
I actually still have about 15 ton of blackbutt oat seed for sale if anyone near the southern tablelands is looking for a quality feed grain to sow.

AF your obviously not one of the boys when it comes to agriculture management :Y: if the predictions of the link I put up are realised it will cause issues for some. Another aspect of this is the community effect with regard to reservoir levels and those with limited tank water capacity. Down here (Nth Vic) water was trucked around the clock to some rural towns which might be the case again for next summer. So if anyone who relies on tank water has minimal holding capacity it's worth looking into expanding after all AF be it potable or stock holding your example is testimony to forward planning :beer:

BS I remember Ash Wednesday and the summer of 83 I was in year 9 so hadn't joined the CFA at that point it sure was a terrible situation. We've got feed growing now for the first time since early spring :Y: it's amazing to see /watch the transformation from dirt to new growth(even if some are weeds) but I am sure the frosts will slow it or stuff it up when it comes :rolleyes: I've made the decision to buy in more feed knowing how difficult and expensive it was this year. It's not like I make a living from it, I'd rather feed the animals (Kate's) than watch them suffer and wither away to skeleton shape. Let's hope this doesn't be the turn of events that sees us in the situation of Ash Wednesday and Black Saturday scenarios :N: