Gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmac

Christine Besancon
Reaction score
Hello im New to this..

My late Father was right into Lapidary and we kids helped him fossick...what I would like to find out is I have been left with a lot of Polished Gems and also a lot in their raw state..I do know a few of the names of stones etc.. but I am worried..the family I have left dont want these Gems..Young ones not interested in keeping "Rocks" as they say..I am wanting to either find out what to sell for...
I have Photographs of some of them..Taking more of the raw ones soon..Maybe someone can help me ??

Regards Sarahmac

1408339361_002.jpg

Hi Sarahmac and welcome to PA :)

Most of the stones look like petrified wood that has been rounded and polished in a tumbler.
There are some smoky quartz pebbles as well as some that look like jaspers and maybe a few small red carnelians. As to the clear stones most would be quartz if any are very cold when picked up and placed next to your cheek you may have to look up a local lapidary club to check if they maybe topaz.
Oh almost forgot the purple one is an amethyst pebble. :)

Thank You Jimnyjerry
Ty for information..I will try to find a place here where I live..I knew a few of the names you said..just forgotten them..the photo you saw is only a very small lot to what I have..I have an opalised Pippy..will send photo next tim along with the other raw gems I have.

Regards. Sarahmac. :)

Hi Sarahmac,

From what i see there you have a nice collection, sad to say but it sounds as though you do not want to keep these as a collection for yourself either.

It's hard to say what they would be worth. But being honest they will be worth more to you than as a sentimental memory than what they would sell for market value.

Personally I can see a few pieces there I wouldn't mind buying (e.g. Smokey Quartz, Quartz, Amethyst and Jasper) if you did want to sell them that is?

When you reach 10 posts PM me and well have a chat.

Looking forward to seeing what else you have. ;)

Hi.
Only reason I was selling them is my children don't want them when I go!!
I have jars of smaller bits and quite a lot of Raw Quartz, a lot of smoky quartz everything really..
My Dad used to make key rings and necklaces and bracelets with the smaller pieces. I have gone and bought some fittings to do same thing..with mainly the smaller lot..
I didn't expect a fortune for them but I know once I pass the kids are really not interested and was just hoping for them to go to someone who was interested in such beautiful stones..

Regards.

Latest posts