Gas detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Is anyone exploring old mines using a gas detector? I'm interested in a couple near me and initial poking around reveals no bats which is my "usual" test method for good air. Would just a CO monitor be enough or is a full 4 gas confined spaces type tester a more sensible choice?

Personally I'd be using a multi detection gas monitor as you just never know whats down there. Maybe a little overkill but it's better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Ooops, Coyote got in before me :8

Can be hired from Kennards Lift and Shift for $105.00 for the day if you didn't want to purchase one. (03) 8788 5000

Just ordered a GasAlert Micro XT. I've used them at work before, light weight and scream like a banshee when anything goes wrong. Measures O2, LEL, CO and H2S.

Ben78 said:
Just ordered a GasAlert Micro XT. I've used them at work before, light weight and scream like a banshee when anything goes wrong. Measures O2, LEL, CO and H2S.
Not being picky but for that type of thing I would still seriously consider a CO2 monitor which, in my opinion, is more likely to be an issue in that type of environment than CO or explosive gases (but handy to have this monitoring too CO & LEL).
Reason being is due to most relying on the displacement of O2 as an indicator but this isn't always reliable. As an example 40,000ppm or higher CO2 is considered dangerous. At 70,000ppm the O2 may only be displaced to as low as 19.5% & by then it could be too late.

Benefit of hiring it is that it is calibrated (test certificate also provided when collecting unit) right before it goes out every time. If you do own one, how often would you get it calibrated and would you trust it with your life that it is functioning/detecting properly???

PaulFritz said:
Benefit of hiring it is that it is calibrated (test certificate also provided when collecting unit) right before it goes out every time. If you do own one, how often would you get it calibrated and would you trust it with your life that it is functioning/detecting properly???
Good point mate, heres a couple ;)
testing.http://www.zenithinstruments.com.au/categories/Gas-Monitor/
http://www.controlequipment.com.au/calibration/?gclid=CL67x7_Uqr8CFU8JvAodfnQAbg

If your goin in far enough for gas to be present should look into a full ba mask mate and try to explore with a mate in case of a emergency can be very dangerous as some gases are oderless

Latest posts