Garrett Euro Ace information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you using the Ace350, on the beach or doing parks? If doing parks, depending on ground mineralisation, you should run at about 3/4 sensitivity, sometimes lower on mineralised ground. For beaches, on dry sand you can sometimes get away with full sensitivity, but go any where near wet sand, you will find you may have to go back down to two or three bars to keep the Ace from constantly falsing.

I have also found the Ace to be susceptible to repeated falsing if close to a pinpointer with the detector on med- high sensitivity. Strangely enough, this only happens with my Minelab Pro-find, and not the Nokta pinpointer. This is more so an issue with the concentric coils vs DD ones. As mentioned, the coil cable should be firmly located on the shaft to prevent the coil picking up its own cable.

I can run the Ace down to one bar on the battery indicator, and have no issues with falsing.

Ensure that the coil cable plug is pushed firmly home before attempting to tighten the metal bezel.

I am currently on a farm about 15minutes south of Nambour. From the ground I have dug it doesn't seem to be very mineralised, however the holes that are falsing seem to be full of rocks which I'm not sure may have little bits of iron ore in them.

Dry beach sand I have found my sensitivity needs to be around 3 or 4 not to false and wet sand is 1 or 2.

The Ace will tend to go off on areas littered with iron "hot rocks", not really too much you can do about that other than to lift the coil off the surface several inches to see if the target disappears, if it still remains, it may be a good target. The Ace lacks adjustable ground balance, so may have difficulty in those areas, plus reduced depth on beaches with more than usual amounts of black sand. The sand here in Adelaide is pretty much devoid of black sand, so you can run quite high sensitivity without mineralisation blotting out the good targets.

I ran both the Ace and Infinium at one of our local goldfields recently, and the missus complained of constant falsing over the hot rocks there, plus the background mineralisation also tends to make the background threshold rise to the point of causing falsing (have a listen in pinooint mode for a loud constant threshold vs quiet threshold - indicates high mineralisation, and probably unworkable conditions for the Ace).

In these conditions, a detector with adjustable/auto ground balance and adjustable threshold is a necessity. The fixed threshold and ground balance of the Ace series of detector really limits where you can use these detectors, as I mentioned, some local parks even have enough ground mineralisation to upset the Ace. :)

Thank for all the help guys I will give it all a go today and hopefully I can get her running smoothly, and get back to you with the results.

WILKO

Well today was a better day I can say that, I had to have my sensitivity down real low but I managed to find quite a few targets. Had a few bits of old steel, an old pipe joiner, the usual junk and picked up my first coin. It may have only been 5c but it's a start, bring on the pre-decimal.

Still had a few hot rocks setting me off on the odd occasion but not as bad as yesterday

Thanks everyone for all your help, it is very much appreciated. :)

WILKO

Latest posts