Garmin GPS Etrex

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All sorry if this has all ready been done but looking at the Garmin 10 etrex Dick Smith $118 ,any one have info on that ?
thanks in advance......................

Colmaca said:
If you only want to find your way back to your Car this is ok
Yes thats exactly what I need it for, glad to see I'm on the right track (scuse pun) thanks mate ...................

is it a good idea to have an etrex when prospecting. will the basic model do the job

I have small problems with my etrex 30 when in the narrow creeks because of the canopy over head other than that work's ok.IF you do not know how, then learn to use a compass and read a map just in case the gps dies' on you,i never trust electrics in the bush.I carry a PLB(personal locating beacon) at all times also just in case of a miss hap,there are posts on here about the pro's and cons, use the search icon top left of screen :Y:

Yes a 'etrex GPS' will get you back to camp.
However you will also need a PLB. People died recently after being stranded outback.... GET ONE....

1580256824_plb.jpg

G'day

Had a bad experience one year due to a faulty Garmin Etrex gps, so I binned it and bought the Etrex 10 and didn't like it, and also saw another mate toss his Etrex 10 in the fire after he said that it got him lost and he had to walk back to camp, I now use the Garmin Geko and have two that I carry with me and a spare in the car, I carry one on my belt and one on the bike, I set the camp in both units straight away when I get there, and when out on the bike and away from camp detecting I set the one I carry on my belt to the bike each time I park up so that I cover my bases, the bike one mounts on the handlebars and I can just turn it on and follow it when I want to head back to camp, I also carry a plb on me as well.

Getting lost can be a death sentence in some of the areas I go to as they can be quite remote, so these days I just don't take chances, but my advice to any newbies is to make sure you know how to use the gps as well as there is no point carrying one if you are not 100% familiar with how it works, when you log your desired position into the gps make sure you then check that the position is actually marked in it by trying it before you leave camp or whatever, don't be in too much of a hurry to leave and get on with detecting otherwise you may get in to trouble when you want to head home and the position is not logged in to it, I have seen this happen several times and that's exactly the reason the mates gps ended up I the fire, not from a faulty gps but from an impatient operator, lucky for him he did log the camp in properly.

So before you leave on a trip, check the operation of your gps and also do a check the test on your plb just to be sure, as I found out just because the gps had worked all the other times it does not mean that it will work the next time.

cheers

stayyerAU

Etrex E20 for 6 years, never had a problem. Set a Waypoint called CAR, when you stop to detect, switch the unit on, go into the menu and reposition CAR to where you are.
Then turn off the GPS and pocket it. You only need turn it on and GOTO CAR if you can't see your vehicle. I get over a year out of 2 AA batteries, so it's easy, I just replace the batteries at the begining of each season year.

However, I can navigate map and compass, I also carry a PLB and note sun position and landmarks etc.

Preparation and common sense are key.

The things you should carry or prepare for are, especially if alone; Carry the following - water, mobile phone, PLB, UHF, basic 1st aid kit (including snake bite kit.) and a list of emergency contacts.

The other thing is the training and or knowledge to use them i.e. a first aid course and which uhf channels to use etc. If possible tell someone where you will be and for how long and don't forget to tell them when you return, so they know not to press the "panic button".

I think I might have mentioned this in another thread, but .......

My PLB has a 7 year battery life which expires in Jan 2021, I have checked it and it still works. However it costs $210 for a replacement and only gets a 12 mth warranty. It also costs me the freight from S.A. to N.S.W. to get it done. I won't bother as the one that EVIE/BEE notes above is only a few $$$ more for a new one with a 10 year battery.

I will obviously register the new one I buy later in the year and deregister the old one. But, this begs the Question;

DOES ANYONE know the process, procedure, etc for disposing of a PLB that may still be operational? I don't believe it's something that should go into the weekly garbage bin. :)

EPIRB Disposal
Beacon owners should be aware that there has been a change in beacon disposal arrangements with
Battery World. Free disposal is no longer available at Battery World stores and a small fee will now
apply.
Battery World marine spokesperson Vince Petruzzella said the company started collecting the unwanted
beacons in 2007 as part of the transition to the 406MHz digital beacon.
Our relationship with AMSA and the importance of correct beacon disposal is still very important to us
but due to the increasing number of beacons being disposed and associated labour involved, stores will
now charge a small fee, he said.
Australia has the highest usage of beacons per capita in the world with over 350,000 beacons registered
in AMSAs database.
Beacon owners can still dispose of unwanted beacons responsibly in the following ways:
Contact your local battery store. A small fee may apply.
Contact your local maritime safety agency. They may be able to provide disposal advice.
Disconnect the beacon battery according to the manufacturers instructions. Then contact your
local waste management facility to ask about environmentally friendly disposal options. A small
fee may apply.
Anyone who disposes of their unwanted beacon should update their details with AMSA to de-register
their beacon. Details can be updated online at www.amsa.gov.au/beacons or by phoning AMSA on
1800 406 406.

A fella riding his bike in a remote trail riding area crashed and I think he broke his leg, anyway, he was in a bad situation as he was solo, so set his alarm off and was rescued. I'm not sure what brand he used.

He may have been found once his missus notified authorities, but he also may not have been found either, especially if his missus didn't report him missing for a few weeks :(. Maybe that was the main reason he carried an alarm:8 . We will never know.

The maps where out on the older GPS units, they where digitised from low res original maps etc..

If you download there software you can use it to combine/edit previous tracks and waypoints you have traversed.
you use the wayponits to mark gates, water, shops etc..
THe GPS becomes useful again.

You cn get better maps using OziExplorer on your android device or windows tablet pc, but their power demands are high.
The older dumb GPS units that use simple AA batteries are good to get you out of trouble.
Their waterproof and you can store 1-2 spare AA's in a plastic container etc for emergencies.

As said these devices are great but you should always take paper maps of the area and compass as a backup.
If anything do you can scribble notes on the paper.

Latest posts