Fossil Enthusiast From Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What can I say? I'm a fossil-mad 17 year guy who just loves to get out in the field and search for treasures from the distant past. I have been a walking dinosaur and animal encyclopedia since age 3 and intend to go to university next year to study Paleontology and hopefully get a job at a museum.

I'm a collector of fossils primarily, but I also just recently bought a metal detector to see what I can find on my local beach or park. Just a new hobby i'm taking up for the fun of it.

This looks like a great community, glad to be a part of it. I'm also on 'The Fossil Forum' as well if there are any fellow TFF members here.

Call me Paleo btw ;)

Welcome to the forum Paleo, great career choice you're about to embark on with your studies. Hope the forum can help you in your research and give you some insight into minerals and gems which often go hand in hand with the hunting of fossils.

Best of luck with your uni studies and hope you get plenty of time for some exploratory field trips.

Cheers Wal, :)

Welcome aboard Paleo!

Great area of expertise that. You'll always have the chance of getting your name in the history books coming across a unique find or two :D

All the best,
Shauno.

You have an excellent opportunity to discover the remnants of old creatures in this country as we are so old as a land form and having been connected at one time to other areas but separated so long ago we have unique opportunities.
Good luck with your endeavors

regards

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

I'll try and post some pictures later today of the fossils i've found so far around Sydney, nothing rare or breakthrough (yet) but fantastic nonetheless.

Also if anyone has tips about where to go metal detecting for gold around Sydney i'd really appreciate it!

Not sure about gold in the area, you'd probably need to head out around Lithgow or Bathurst to get into the goldfields.

I can tell you that Peats Ridge has some spectacular Natrolite geode specimens waiting to be found amongst the boulders, along with very large and great quality Botryoidal Prehnite crystal specimens out at the Prospect Quarry. Not sure how you'll go getting into those areas today but it's worth looking.

All the best,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
Not sure about gold in the area, you'd probably need to head out around Lithgow or Bathurst to get into the goldfields.

I can tell you that Peats Ridge has some spectacular Natrolite geode specimens waiting to be found amongst the boulders, along with very large and great quality Botryoidal Prehnite crystal specimens out at the Prospect Quarry. Not sure how you'll go getting into those areas today but it's worth looking.

All the best,
Shauno.

Yeah I was just looking at some of the goldfield maps on this forum, looks like i've got some driving to do.

Oh well for now I guess i'll just stick to finding coins and learn how to use my new metal detector properly before I set out looking for gold.

Paleoworld-101 said:
Syndyne said:

All the best,
Shauno.

Yeah I was just looking at some of the goldfield maps on this forum, looks like i've got some driving to do.

Oh well for now I guess i'll just stick to finding coins and learn how to use my new metal detector properly before I set out looking for gold.

When trying to get access to big quarries or other sites owned / managed by large companies , try mentioning that you will self insure , or write an injury liability indemnity/waiver to keep them happy.

and if you have a National Green Card that also helps as it means you have been inducted with OHS compliancy on other sites

could be enough to swing it in your favour

large companies are " risk averse " these days because of pressure from insurance companies

ps . when i did my National Green Card induction training it cost about $ 96 and took 2 days if that helps any of you guys decide its merits .
its probably double that price now :(

HeadsUp said:
Paleoworld-101 said:
Syndyne said:

All the best,
Shauno.

When trying to get access to big quarries or other sites owned / managed by large companies , try mentioning that you will self insure , or write an injury liability indemnity/waiver to keep them happy.

and if you have a National Green Card that also helps as it means you have been inducted with OHS compliancy on other sites

large companies are " risk averse " these days because of pressure from insurance companies

Which is understandable I guess.

Although if I did injure myself there's no way i'd blame the quarry owner and try to sue them. It would be my own clumsy fault lol

Paleoworld-101 said:

Which is understandable I guess.

Although if I did injure myself there's no way i'd blame the quarry owner and try to sue them. It would be my own clumsy fault lol

got to look at it from their point of view . insurance companies will cancel their policy if they dont comply with the terms of the policy

if a person was injured or disabled there would be court cases and lawyers firing salvos at $ 200,000 per week , going to court with "He said She said" would mean nothing to them.

Any arrangement needs to be in writing , and you would have to get some uni friends to help you draft the copy to make it have any worth.

you only have to look at court cases against councils for example where people have been paralysed after diving in to shallow water while drunk and they want the next 30 years of living expenses.

Latest posts