Fooled into believing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whilst sifting and panning at Daylesford recently, I saw shiny yellow.
I grabbed a few of these and upon closer inspection I noticed that they were clear stones with a yellow tinge.
I think the sunlight reflected off one of the facets.
You can't see this in the pic as I did not angle them and because of the LEDs of the microscope.
Can you tell me what fooled me?
The grid is 0.5mm
I found these nice dark stones that also reflected nicely. Do you know what they are?
Oh and some gold as well.
Thank you

1544511831_fossik_20181109_b.jpg

1544511860_shiny_rocks_20181109_b.jpg

RedeyPete said:
Whilst sifting and panning at Daylesford recently, I saw shiny yellow.
I grabbed a few of these and upon closer inspection I noticed that they were clear stones with a yellow tinge.
I think the sunlight reflected off one of the facets.
You can't see this in the pic as I did not angle them and because of the LEDs of the microscope.
Can you tell me what fooled me?
The grid is 0.5mm
I found these nice dark stones that also reflected nicely. Do you know what they are?
Oh and some gold as well.
Thank you

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14173/1544511831_fossik_20181109_b.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/14173/1544511860_shiny_rocks_20181109_b.jpg

top are zircon bottom black ones are spinel

Au? Sadly no.
Here's another angle on the same spot.
Interestingly the dark "tubes" through the stone appear to have openings on some (all?) ends.

1544941362_shiny_10.jpg

Perhaps its Tourmaline or Rutile inclusions that have weathered away a bit.. Any of those Minerals found in the same area?.

I really thought that was Gold showing there....

LW....

As for what other minerals are in the area, I couldn't say.
I'm quite new to fossicking, so still learning.
Some smokey quartz around, and the area used to have gold mines - be careful where you step!
Thee is a deep vertical shaft fenced off nearby, but many others not so well defined.

Latest posts