First time detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the first time that i had a chance to do some detecting with my Garret ADS deep seeker.
Found no gold but found stuff not detected by others :p
Also had to back fill holes left by others that were there before me but would be busy all day to do them all so did a many as i could.
Wish the bastards would do it themself for once because it is not hard to do.
Photo with the stuff i found and surprisingly there is a very small piece with it that was 2" deep.
Dont know what it is but it has a tiny quarts cristal in it.
1500710467_wp_20170722_17_31_47_pro.jpg

In their day, Garrett's ADS Deepseeker VLFs were renowned for their depth, probably because of their exceptionally low operating frequency (6.4 kHz, I think). The downside to them is a lack of signal clarity at depth - if you're going to find deep gold (other than the 'Hand of Faith'!), you'll need to dig signals that sound rather like charcoal or a small pocket of red clay. If you get a clear 'beep', by all means dig it, but listening hard for those muffled, soft-edged, repeatable but rather vague signals, might still pay dividends even though it's 35 years since the machine was in its heyday.

Most were about 6" deep and the smallest bit was 2" deep.
They all gave a very strong beep.
And i forgot that my runners had steel caps in them 8.(
Also when putting samples on top of the coil, i got a clear beep but then i noticed that my jacket had a zipper made of metal.
Going to buy other runners without metal and not use this jacket anymore.
This detector is pretty sensitive for its old age and not very affected by mineralisation,

Well done MM ya gotta get rid of those steel caps and zippers :Y: top effort filling in the holes left open by others. Filling in other people's open holes is a pain I reckon I could spend a month in the bush and only fill open holes :N: :mad: their everywhere unfortunately.

Keep at it MM, I recently got my old Garrett Groundhog out for the first time in over 30 years, and still works OK.
It's very much outdated now I know, but can still pick up .22 lead shots easily as well as coins along with a load of rubbish on the beach.
I had found about 10 oz with it back in the late 1980's them lost interest.
Have now just got interested again and looking for an upgrade and thinking about a Gold Bug Pro or something similar which will prevent me from digging a lot of junk.
Good luck!

Good stuff mate, it probably outperforms the minelab goldmonster. Next time you swing past grab my little .26gm nugg and see what depth it picks it up at.

Occasional_panner said:
Good stuff mate, it probably outperforms the minelab goldmonster. Next time you swing past grab my little .26gm nugg and see what depth it picks it up at.

Will do mate, will call first :Y:
It is weird but i have a stud finder here that doesnt pick up any of the rusty bits but only the iron button :rolleyes:

Those " Old " Detectors still have their place.
I first started with an A2b.
Mine was the last of the series and when
in GEB mode, Was bloody brilliant coin shooting.
I still have my adf deepseeker. :) :)

Latest posts