First piece of Gold!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
4th trip out, and I find my first piece! Is it odd that I was shaking with excitement?! :D

1524871167_img_3180.jpg

1524871168_img_3181.jpg

Congratulations owenh1 :Y: now you'll find more, give that area a good work out now you've got your ear tuned.

Congratulations, well done.
You've done better than me, Still waiting to find my first piece.

Thanks guys this forum has been a fountain of knowledge so here's to you all. It was very close to the surface, was waiting for the inevitable ball of lead! It did sound slightly different to the lead though, just slightly more wavey? if that's the right word, make sense to anyone?!

Stayed around the same area for the next couple of hours and carried on finding lead. Nice feeling that it hasn't all been cleaned out though so i will be back there low and slow, hopefully next week!

Stretch3 said:
Congratulations, well done.
You've done better than me, Still waiting to find my first piece.

The only advice I can give is to go slow (not experienced enough to say much else!!). Every time I find a target, I go over it again fast and nothing is there. Then slow it right down and you hear it clear as day. My first 2 times out I was impatient and swinging fast to cover ground and must have missed loads of targets.

owenh1 said:
Thanks guys this forum has been a fountain of knowledge so here's to you all. It was very close to the surface, was waiting for the inevitable ball of lead! It did sound slightly different to the lead though, just slightly more wavey? if that's the right word, make sense to anyone?!

Stayed around the same area for the next couple of hours and carried on finding lead. Nice feeling that it hasn't all been cleaned out though so i will be back there low and slow, hopefully next week!

Slightly more wavey or a bit of warble. It makes sense to me. It has a slight different sound to lead with the gpx5000. But I dig every sound I hear as you never know what it may be. This is a great video and shows exactly why you dig all sounds. If this had been in the real world I walked away from an ounce.

https://youtu.be/RD3cKMcKIPQ

shakergt said:
owenh1 said:

Slightly more wavey or a bit of warble. It makes sense to me. It has a slight different sound to lead with the gpx5000. But I dig every sound I hear as you never know what it may be. This is a great video and shows exactly why you dig all sounds. If this had been in the real world I walked away from an ounce.

After watching this I glad I dig every target

shakergt said:
very nice bit. have you got a weight. Also it looks like it has not come far from the source

Not weighed it yet, wouldn't have thought it's more than 0.5g at most. It was a few feet from a deep old timers hole, so I'm thinking possibly just thrown out in the dirt?

roy cobb said:
shakergt said:
owenh1 said:

After watching this I glad I dig every target

This clip is what made start digging everything as I said 4 was rubbish :(

That is an awesome find Owen.
I am still trying for my first one after a few trips,nothing but lead shot,bullets,belt buckle,button,nails etc.
Just have to keep trying i guess!
Any tips would be appreciated.

Buddy no1 said:
That is an awesome find Owen.
I am still trying for my first one after a few trips,nothing but lead shot,bullets,belt buckle,button,nails etc.
Just have to keep trying i guess!
Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi Buddy!!

I've posted the gold i found.. I haven't posted the rest of what I found:

2 nails.
16 lead shot
1 button
1 unidentified metal object.

A few weeks ago I posted this.... https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25690 It's got quite a few helpful tips from people who know what it's like. Since that post the main thing I have done is slow down, going very slowly with the detector gives you a greater chance. To start with I would concentrate around old diggings!

Latest posts