First Day Gold Detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I got my 4500 2 weeks ago and did a training day with coiltek last week which Im very glad I did.
Decided to head to chewton area today for my first day gold detecting 2.5 hour drive each way
Found a few bits of junk, lead and small bullets but nothing good ha ha
I was disheartened with the results while I was out in the field but now I am already itching to get back out already ha ha :p

Is anyone hitting the GT up next week?

I know how you feel! But don't give up. It sounds like the fever has got you :)
I'm glad you liked the training day its a real eye opener.
I'm heading to Wedderburn for the weekend and can't wait to get out there :p

Yeah mate, without the training day wouldnt have had a clue!
Good luck im thinking to maybe goto a different area when I go next week unsure where thou

Keep at it Soulfly3. I got lucky on my first outing but it took 3 days for only 1 tiny piece but I will always remember it. I have only done about 14days since and have always got a little bar one trip. Just had my best day today for 8 pieces about 2 grams, problem is I don't want to go back to work now.

Castlemaine most of the spots around there were hydraulic sluiced if you concentrate on these areas and around the edges, you have the chance of finding small pieces of gold that is in the clay that has been left by the old time prospectors good luck regards john :)

Thanks BJ thats great what set up do you use?

Great john, is it worth getting an 8 inch NF ?

Yeah Soufly its something well all have to get used to finding old junk, its part of the game but its not all junk.
I've found a few old bottles from the mid to late 1800s and a tomahawk last weekend.
If you ever detect in Blackwood or Barrys Reef just be ready to dig a shitload of nails. :( No gold for me yet but i feel my luck is about to change.
Max Cavalera is a legend.

Haha yeah mate I understand it's frustrating but it part of the game hey!
Awesome on the tomahawk
Yeah he is new Soulfly album out in few weeks /m\ ;)

Yeah cant wait, seen them every time they come out. I think they played last time at Billboards in Russel st Mel a few years back.I have there symbol tattooed on my arm lol.
Good luck with your hunting mate.

Lol yeah same here check out killer be killed if you havent already
i have 1 that covers my stomach haha

I use a 5000 with the 6x8 Sadie most of the time. She's my favorite girl. Got another 11 today only around a gram though.

Well I'm happy with it as are other I know. Got another 10 today smallest is .03 but was basically on the surface,can be hard going in the hot ground though she talks a bit much crap.

Sure mate cheers thanks! John recommended the 8 inch Commander I might do some research on them both :)

Main thing I like about the Sadie being elliptical it makes it a bit easier to push under the leaf litter and amongst the rocks

Latest posts