First attemp at cabbing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the lapidary club for my first class this morning, was hoping to use some of my jasper but as it was not ready to work on and needed cutting. I was lucky enough to get given a few small bits so I could have a go at cabbing, whilst a few bits of jasper are prepared for next time.
Managed to get 3 rocks shaped ( mostly ), and started on a fourth. Will hopefully get them finished next trip.

Not perfect by any means and still a long way to go, but here is where I got to.

These two I got to spend the most time on.

This one I thought was done, but needs a little fine tuning.

This one was a lot harder than the rest and still has a long way to go.

TheSilentBugler said:
Nice work mate, not sure about the photos though, careful which stones you cab :D
LOL, had me in tears then. Family jewels will stay well clear of those grinding wheels as my fingers can testify they can smart a bit when you hit the side ;)

Joe, its a start. Probably should have got more done but got talking to an older gent who loves gold prospecting..... time flies when your having fun.

Great work shivan, you will soon learn when its the right time to move onto the next wheel by feel, sound and what's on the rock.

Have a go at getting straight into using the templates and drawing the shape on the rock first and cut down to it before shaping for setting into jewellery

Cheers AR, we were marking them with templates and grinding back to that shape, but I was jumping back and fourth between stones and wheels a little bit. The first two stones got taken to a finer wheel to smooth them out, but the little one was only done on one wheel, but I don't think I marked it out well enough, so it still needs to loose a little off one side.
Hopefully they will look a little nicer when finished.

Yeah ,ha well I was not sure what I was about to see as I scrolled down on the iPad ,the first pick had me a bit worried.
Haha

Good work Shivan. You wil love them once you've put a good shine on them, Polish makes all the difference :)

Thanks for posting, the end results look good. if you continue with this hobby you will need to eventually mount them into pendants, rings etc. which will be cherished gifts for family and friends and or sell some for some cash!!

Thanks guys.
The club does do silverwork classes, but not sure what I will do with these yet. Will probably just stick with cutting and cabbing at the moment, till I get a bit of a selection to look at mounting.

Few more finished and a couple more just started. Was disappointed with how my first piece of bolder opal came out as it started to get extremely pitted when I put it on the diamond belt. I have a feeling I should not have done this step with the opal and should have jumped to the polish.

Have started these bolder opal and one piece of potch.

Are you drawing on the back using a template and then preforming the outside edge first so it has a point to mount?

If you do that and also cut the edge on a dop stick ( I use superglue sometimes but doesn't always hold ) you should have a perfect shape from the start before you begin the cab shape.

I'm only saying this for some info for you in case you havnt been told. I can see the edges or main shape is a bit off or wabbly and by preforming, you shouldn't have this issue. I think your doing a great job though mate so hope you don't take that info wrong :)

Are you doing the 4 stage cab as well? Preform, 20 degree, 30 degree from halfway to top, and then onto the cabbing?

If not I have a page from a book to send you.

Some rocks do start to pit.. call them unique features :) I actually like it on that boulder opal as I've never seen it like that. Must look cool as it glistens in the sun!

Cheers for the feedback AR.
I have only been to about 4 classes now and the lady who was teaching was only at the first class, as she is dealing with a death in the family. Her husband is the president and has been coming in and teaching, but he is also on the saw and has to organise everything, so is quiet busy. Most of the others there are just learning as well, so I get a bit of advice, but have been feeling a bit lost :rolleyes:

All the stones but the lot in the last photo have been done using a template, I had to free form the bolder opal in my hand as there were crumbly bits and cavities. The big green one has a slight raised side and a few flat spots on the front which make the shape look out, could not see it as well when it was wet, but I have also been rushing a bit as I wanted to have a handful done before December, I figured if worse came to worse I could tidy them up next year. The small piece of bolder opal also has a bad corner on it but this happened on the diamond belt sanding it back before polish. I could not fix it as it just wanted to crumble if I worked it. I have seen a tip to hit it with super glue then reshape, but I was a practice piece.

Only my first 4 stones got dop sticks and that was after I had formed them, just before sanding and polishing. The rest I have just held and done by hand, but think I will get some dowel before next week.

Latest posts