Family camp/detecting trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm after ideas on places to take the kids camping and detecting for a week in the school holidays.
Preferably close to a river so we can cool off, and a good chance of a nugget or two close by.
Ready set go ! :)
Cheers Greg

Thanks nucopia, took them there once before but the missus wasn't too keen on it, not enough shade when I left her to go banking lol.
Hill end bridal trail was good but she's looking for somewhere new
Cheers

Sofala & Upper Turon i.e. Turon Gates as above would be worth a look.
The good thing about the area is if the missus & kids get too bored or need something else to do Lithgow, Mudgee, Bathurst or even a day trip to Hill End aren't that far away - maybe leaving you on the river to your own devices if you get a camp in a good spot to detect or highbank or both.
That leads me to the bad point about Sofala. It can get pretty hard to get a good spot school holidays or long weekends etc. once the weather starts getting a bit nicer. There looked to be quite a few campers around close to the village yesterday when I drove through already.
The campgrounds are pretty basic with only one having drop dunny's & no other facilities.
Ophir might be another place worth looking at - close to Orange & Bathurst. Pretty sure there is still only a toilet block there but no showers etc.
The water will "cool" you off at this time of year still :lol:

Yep Turon Gates http://www.turongates.com/ , or Mookerawa Waters Park near Stuart Town http://www.mookerawawaters.com.au/

Both in gold country, both a spot kids will love. As for the wife......both have accommodation if camping is a bit too rough for wife yet you can camp as well.

Turon is ok for swimming but be warned leaches can spook the kids, not common like other areas but can appear!

Hey fellas I'm not worried about facilities as we will tow the camp trailer and have a portable toilet and a green cube camp shower so I'll just need a water source really and a nice enough swim spot for the girls.
We will go probably the last week of school holidays so I was thinking Turon gates will be packed.
I'm leaning towards Ophir or Stuart town I think :)
Cheers Greg

Hey fellas totally forgot my missus has a friend who's parents have property in sofala some where so I'm waiting to find out more and may end up camping there. Probably prefer to be around that area as there is many places around there.
Is anybody else planning a trip out that way around the last week of school holidays that would be keen to meet up for a swing?

I was thinking Stuart town, I am pretty keen to get there and check it out but I know absolutely nothing about the place so I think ill do a little more home work on st before I hit it. It is still one place I'm considering I'm just not finding much info on the place just yet.
I like the thought of getting access to private property in sofala and having a few places close by to have a swing.
If a few other members will be around Stuart town it may sway me a little more as I would love to meets a few other detectorists and maybe learn a thing or two to help me on my quest to pop the golden cherry lol
Cheers

Cool, I'm always keen as long as work don't interfere and I get permission from the boss.
I'll post up when we pick our location for this trip and see how we go, if I dont get to Stuart town this trip I will be doing a trip there some time soon :)

So it's official, Stuart town is our chosen location and we will be staying at the mookerwara park. Dates will be from 27th till the 1st maybe longer depending on the boss lady :)

A few pics from the week
1443838546_image.jpg
1443838598_image.jpg
1443838675_image.jpg
1443838788_image.jpg

Latest posts