Extended Hitch For Caravan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I installed a stone deflector on my van (Jayco Penguin Outback) for my last trip to WA, but on full turn lock (necessary to U-turn on some roads and car parks), the deflector just hit (but destroyed) the RHS turn indicator on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (which costs around $1200 new but before fitting (I'll pick one up from a wrecker next week).
It needs to be set back around 2", but the deflector can only be moved back 1" before hitting the jerry can holder. Moving the jerry can holder will involve welding new support brackets, which I am loth to do. Putting the deflector behind the jerry can holder is an option, but it severely restricts access to the van's front boot area, and I'm not a thin dude.
The one option that comes to mind, is to buy a longer hitch for the tow bar's receiver, which will put the van a further 3" away, such as:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Towing-Hitch-2250kg-Removable-Long-Reach/326559
It's a very light van (1.3 tonnes empty), so the towing and weight rating (2.25 tonnes) isn't an issue.
The main issue that I see is a reduced car departure angle, but I'll carry the existing hitch if that looks like being a problem crossing a gully etc. so that I can swap it out.
Wondering if anyone can see any issues with this approach, i.e.: towing sway etc. or if there's a better option.

Just fitted one to my Hilux, When we have our jayco dove on we couldnt open the back window on the ute ..Its about 11 inches long and rated over 2000km from Allen towbars in Adelaide..Cost $95..Dont think it will be a problem fingers crossed..

Extended drawbar hitch not a problem, did it on my Ol Pathfinder to clear spare wheel carrier and we towed about 1250kg camper trailer with no issues.
Cheers
Manpa

It's not about the weight of the van, the critical thing is the hitch weight of the van, the Jayco should be fairly light, plus the hitch weight should never exceed 15% of the total van weight loaded. Longer the hitch tongue on the tug, the larger the load on the rear axle and suspension and the higher the headlights will look. The Jeep will also have a max hitch load based on the standard tongue

BigWave said:
Thanks pa. I loved this Pathfinders - a tough car :Y:

Yep, sure was, sadly under rated by many, only changed over to the Challenger as I wanted a diesel for the long haul trips. The Ol Pathy was a petrol and a bit thirsty.
Cheers

BigWave why not investigate putting a full mudflap across the underside rear of your vehicle :Y: it'll fix all your problems and save money I'd be thinking. Not sure if 4x4 super centre or similar retailer might just have them ready to fit.

3" is probably not a great percentage increase but everything makes a difference. Along as you are aware of the change and keep an eye on it. The van weight is quite light as well but as Dihusky said moving that load back will have some affect on both front and rear axle loads. However if you were to move the trailer coupling forward you'd hardly make any difference at all.

Pete what you propose is going to be fine. I doubt your entry and departure angle will bother you too much with a 2" extension. As long as your tow ball weights are in order and it looks like you have that covered. l prefer 10% and with your calcs you are covered there also. Happy travels mate.
Bugger about your tail light assembly but that what you get from driving a posh car LOL :Y:

GT :)

Just to be aware, lenghening the tow hitch will alter down load limits on tow bar from manufacturers specifications. More leverage the longer the ball is out from chassis. Just like putting a pipe on the end of a shifter or spanner to make a job easier (if you get my drift).
This would become more of a problem if your down weights were closer to rated manufacturers limits. Also could become an insurance issue if your insurer is looking for a way out.
Any saying that many people are not aware of load limits on roofs of cars. Just because they have a large roof rack they think they can just load it up. I think for example an 80 series can only have 80kg on roof (from memory), that includes roof rack weight. Now if you think each jerry can is 20kg, spare tyres and whatever else you see stacked up there on some vehicles then they are 100kg plus over. A friend who had a mishap with his car had insurance turned down because photos of accident showed this case and insurance got out of paying anything. Thats what they pay there lawyers for. Sorry off subject but is interesting for people to be aware.

mmm interesting problem , seems jayco have their own ideas, some one told me about their tyres, they have a unique load rating so you have to buy their maxis tyre with that load rating thats on the VIN plate , have an accident and the load rating is altered by tyres, the insurance might wipe you that goes for the date the tyre was manufactured , 4 or 5 years and its legally kaput , the extension of the tow tongue will change the tow bar design rating so one day the RMS might tell you , this is as far as you go your illegal , heard that one from a mermaid if you know what I mean,, and that tow vehicle plus van lenght, and weight equation means that you might need a 3 1/2 ton tow capacity vehicle, and the things sales people don't tell you ,

Latest posts