Expanded Mesh

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a highbanker. 20cm wide. I need a section of expanded mesh 20cm wide by 60cm long. But...

What size mesh should I be getting? Ie, size of the openings AND thickness. The stuff I've seen so far seems too big, but I don't know.

I'm outer eastern suburbs of melb...anyone know where I can get some in or around melbourne?

Are there any plastic or similar alternatives I can use?

Thanks

Hi mate just goggled aluminium supplies, Its is all a matter of preference what you use, i use 40mm expanded in some of my setups sitting on moss.
Anyway here are some suppliers in the Melbourne area

Aluminium Trade Centre
www.aluminiumtc.com.au
7 Google reviews Google+ page
2127 Dandenong Road
Clayton VIC
(03) 9544 6659
Action Aluminium
www.actionaluminium.com.au
Google+ page
78 Greens Road
Dandenong South VIC
(03) 9708 5188
Williamstown Metal Merchants
www.metalstore.com.au
3 Google reviews Google+ page
44 Tennyson Street
Williamstown North VIC
(03) 9397 8385
Capral Aluminium Extrusions Melbourne
www.capral.com.au
Google+ page
151 Barry Road
Campbellfield VIC
(03) 9930 1500
Aluminium Express
www.aluminiumexpress.com.au
Google+ page
12 Edelmaier Street
Bayswater VIC
(03) 9729 0644
ALSPEC Melbourne
www.alspec.com.au
Google+ page
26-40 Pound Road West
Dandenong South VIC
(03) 8787 6333
Action Aluminium PTY Ltd.
actionaluminium.com.au
Google+ page
288 Settlement Road
Thomastown VIC
(03) 9464 4333

Yea I'm going to do mesh on top of moss aka bayliss mat from bunnings.

Already googled suppliers and spoke to a few, and like I said, what they had seemed too big...and probably was now I know 40mm-ish give or take is what I'm looking for.

it kind of depends how much water you putting through the banker,as to how thick you go.
if the raised section was around 6mm you should be safe at around 150ltrs per min.

What sort of pump do you have?

Try and picture it this way, your profile height should suit (match) the size of material your trying to capture. The opening of the eyelet will depend on water flow. That's not a definitive answer just a guide to get you started.

If you can't get the expended just use the cut out bread crate. One of my mates has been using it in his banker and swears by it. I am not sure if your pump will cut it though.

Gts advice is solid. For a little pump id go as small as you can get your hands on 6 -10 mm would be perfect. My supplier here in Ballarat is $140 sheet at 900 x 900 to give you a guide

Thanks everyone. I can get a bigger pump if needed. Got this one free from a mate so can just buy a bigger one if needed no worries. I'll give it a go first...you never know.

Latest posts