Expanded mesh vs riffles. Marine carpet vs Miners moss the best setup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff...If you can't get the catwalk mesh and It's only gold your after then standard expanded will be great. If your after sapphires and gold then you really need the catwalk. If you can't get it send me a PM and I can help you out..Cheers Wal. :)

Newbie said:
Hi guys and girls,

I am looking for the best setup in my sluice box. I reckon I might be missing a little bit of the fine stuff whilst sluicing.

Whats everyone's take on the mesh versus "straight bar " riffles. I am kind of still new at this but I think that expanded mesh will be better with fine gold recovery than the bars just from the way the water runs over it. Has anyone run any trails with there own machines to see the different capture rates of fine versus course.

Whilst we are at it miners moss versus the marine carpet. I like the carpet as you get a little more riffle effect on the water. Though just thinking about it would the miners moss be better if I am using the expanded mesh for my extra riffles.

Do you have to do a clean out more often with carpet than with miners moss or vicer versa. Does Expanded mesh clog faster? Do you need more flow rate with the mesh or less?

What is best for fine gold?
What is best of coarse gold and nuggets?

It would depend on your angle, flow rate. personally I have a 20cm section of miners moss right at the top, this seems to remove most of the bubbles and catches 80% of all my gold. I then run a new carpet which is fluffy and around 1cm deep compared to the marine carpet about 4/5 mm. Held down with alluminum riffles with varied gaps. Some gaps have rubber door mat cut sections between them and they generally catch the larger chunks and the off bit of gold holding onto quartz.trial and error is the only way I've changes my setup at least 15 times. With the gold I get mostly small chunks it works well I find that you have to dry out the carpet and best it to get the fines out and the carpet holds plenty I only clean it once per week.

I've had carpet and miners moss but never any gold in them . All my gold stay in the catch box that has rib mat and mesh . It's all to do with set up get the water flow right and the angel right then whatever you put in will work

Latest posts