Ethical quandary..?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NUGS MONEY said:
Simmo said:
Sorry??
So you are detecting, come across a tailing's pile, chuck your detector in the hole, get a signal....
Put you magnet in the hole and get nothing...

But it's 600 mm under water??

Love to understand your prospecting method!

No reason to be sorry mate. What is it you don't understand? I will do my best to explain. I assumed the target was very close to the surface due to the response I was getting from the detector ( by surface I mean the surface of the bottom of the hole haha). I thought surely its a shovel or crowbar. So I stuck my pick with the magnet on the end to see if the target was magnetic. That helped me rule out a few possibilities. The target is about 600mm under water yes.. I'm using a detector.. so normal detecting methods I guess?

So you are walking along, detecting a creek, under water?

I'd say they wern't using a detector cause of the tailings pile..... and they were probably working a fairly shallow show of gold(otherwise they'd have gone deeper to try and bottomnout)
Nothing left around, no tools in the hole, no signs of life... and you found a signal all by yourself independently of all things.
If you go back and someone's there working away then that's that, but once it's been left it could be a day or a year... it's like it's new ground regardless of signs. I've seen places that are so dug over and unfilled trenches that when you dig you just backfill someone else's hole as you go (all you can do).
Go dig it when you get the chance and let us know what you found :p

When someone finds a good score where you've already dug... well all you can do is be happy for them (as you curse a little under your breath at your own inability) :D

silver said:
I'd say they wern't using a detector cause of the tailings pile..... and they were probably working a fairly shallow show of gold(otherwise they'd have gone deeper to try and bottomnout)
Nothing left around, no tools in the hole, no signs of life... and you found a signal all by yourself independently of all things.
If you go back and someone's there working away then that's that, but once it's been left it could be a day or a year... it's like it's new ground regardless of signs. I've seen places that are so dug over and unfilled trenches that when you dig you just backfill someone else's hole as you go (all you can do).
Go dig it when you get the chance and let us know what you found :p

When someone finds a good score where you've already dug... well all you can do is be happy for them (as you curse a little under your breath at your own inability) :D

:clap: Champion silver, very well put.

Simmo said:
NUGS MONEY said:
The creek itself is not running, but dig down 300mm there is water.

So now you are 900mm below surface?
I think I'm getting it now?????
?????????????????????? Really maybe i lost something in the explanation that he gave
Why is it that someone wants to discredit someone on here
Its a very simple explanation maybe he should have had a tape measure with photos then no please explain would have been suggested
Nuggs make sure you carry a tape measure next time you ask a simple question saves a lot of confusion i would think :lol: :lol: :lol: ]:D ]:D

1624948577_20210629_103545.jpg

1624948578_20210629_103547.jpg

Well now we know haha! It was a long wait. Thanks for everyones contribution. I hope this post might help others in the future. :pickshovel:

I suppose the question now begs.... was it a timber wedge for a gnarly stump, or a rock wedge used to open a rich crevice ? :p
and why was it where it was and just where might it have come from if it moved if its own accord? :D

Haha I rekon! Boy if trash could talk hey. Whenever I find a bit of trash my mind wanders to all the potential possibilities. I might try and clean it up a bit and see if it will reveal more of its secrets to us. Another great insight thanks silver.

Latest posts