Emu Goldfields Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone had any information, or knew any sources of info about the Emu Goldfields between Talbot and Maryborough.
The few bits of information I have are very intriguing showing a lawless, wild town of about 10000. I want to know more.
Would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Tom.

G'day Tom welcome to PA, have you tried the state library, trove.

Others might share their knowledge all the best with your hunt :beer:

Thanks RM. I have had a look there with little luck. I will look again. I have a number or heritage and old mining reports but there seems to be a far bigger story.
One report reads,

A settlement sprang up near the Emu Inn on the Carisbrook-Amtherst road with the discovery of a rich alluvial lead in May 1857. GoId in white pipeclay only 2 metres below the surface attracted many thousands of diggers. Its reputation, however, was blemished. It was a really bad place, a collection of the worst people in the Colony. The reputation of the place was bad; scenes disgraced its history. There rival belles from opposition brothels fought all-in battles in the streets, which were roped off for the encounters- They fought stripped to the waist. Emu was a place of low shanties and hocussed drink. The drinking and gambling dens never closed at night; the roll of the balls, the rattle of dice, the oaths of the card players, vice and cruelty, the sound of blows and the shrieks of abandoned women - infamy, shame and death! The doings at Emu bought an unaccustomed blush to to the faces of those long hoary in iniquity. No enquiry was ever instituted over the dead, strong men fell and blooming maidens met a fate worse than death. A few weeks dimmed the glory of Emu, but no one ever forgot it.

I've detected the area quite a bit but would love to know more about it.

Latest posts