Eating Carp and other "delicacies"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Australians have not developed a taste for carp (they are heavily farmed in Europe, the Middle East and Asia). Our attitude is more:
  1. Place a fresh carp fillet in a pot of simmering water.
  2. Then add a small round stone from the river and simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
  3. Remove the carp from the pot and discard.
  4. Serve the hot stone.
Key thing is to throw them immediately into ice. The "muddy" taste is not mud at all but histamines released because of stress on the fish, and ice will prevent that.

Then cut the fillets carefully.

https://riversofcarbon.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/carp-recipe-ebook-A5.pdf

I quite often come across people fishing for carp on my morning walks, some are European, or from a European background, and that group are catching them to eat, I bet if you turned up at thier house for a meal and you were served a meal containing carp it would be good. I've served up our Snook to people that reckon it's only good for bait and they wouldn't believe it was Snook. And what's more, I freeze my Snook and it's still delicious after being frozen. I believe it's the way you treat it from the time it's caught to the time it's prossesed.

Last edited:
Australians have not developed a taste for carp (they are heavily farmed in Europe, the Middle East and Asia). Our attitude is more:
  1. Place a fresh carp fillet in a pot of simmering water.
  2. Then add a small round stone from the river and simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
  3. Remove the carp from the pot and discard.
  4. Serve the hot stone.
Key thing is to throw them immediately into ice. The "muddy" taste is not mud at all but histamines released because of stress on the fish, and ice will prevent that.

Then cut the fillets carefully.

https://riversofcarbon.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/carp-recipe-ebook-A5.pdf

I tried to fillet one to cook once, I just couldn't get past the smell. Filleted one side then, "nah that's it, where's the bin"
Might bring a clothes peg with me next time I try.

I tried to fillet one to cook once, I just couldn't get past the smell. Filleted one side then, "nah that's it, where's the bin"
Might bring a clothes peg with me next time I try.
Good idea with the clothes peg 👍heard from an old bushy as far as taste goes Carp doesn't even come close, the red ones are highly sought after 🍻😅

Slaughtered hundreds if not thousands as a kid in south west NSW. Tried feeding them to the pigs (wild penned pigs) and they wouldn't have a bar of them 😳 doesn't say much for people who do have a liking for them 🤔

Good idea with the clothes peg 👍heard from an old bushy as far as taste goes Carp doesn't even come close, the red ones are highly sought after 🍻😅

Slaughtered hundreds if not thousands as a kid in south west NSW. Tried feeding them to the pigs (wild penned pigs) and they wouldn't have a bar of them 😳 doesn't say much for people who do have a liking for them 🤔
It is not the only fish that is spoilt unless immediately put on ice, and if not filleted properly.

Eastern Europeans are mostly not desperate for food, and it is a special Christmas dinner treat. I suspect the issue is partly preventing the release of histamines into the flesh, partly the filleting as shown in the video above (that avoids the blood line and the numerous bones, even if it makes the fillets quite small).

https://theculturetrip.com/slovakia...tern-europeans-celebrate-christmas-with-carp/

Last edited:

Damn, if pigs wont eat em I'm out.

I quite often come across people fishing for carp on my morning walks, some are European, or from a European background, and that group are catching them to eat, I bet if you turned up at thier house for a meal and you were served a meal containing carp it would be good. I've served up our Snook to people that reckon it's only good for bait and they wouldn't believe it was Snook. And what's more, I freeze my Snook and it's still delicious after being frozen. I believe it's the way you treat it from the time it's caught to the time it's prossesed.
Reminds me of taking a student from Germany for dinner with a Namibian farming family. He raved about the delicious meat meal. Later he made the comment that "incredible, I heard that some people even eat warthog" Silence.

Different countries, different customs...but it usually relates to the method of preparation. I used to feast on prickly pear in southern Africa - sold in all greengrocers - and the farmers made a delicious drink from it. Have never been offered that here.

It is not the only fish that is spoilt unless immediately put on ice, and if not filleted properly.

Eastern Europeans are mostly not desperate for food, and it is a special Christmas dinner treat. I suspect the issue is partly preventing the release of histamines into the flesh, partly the filleting as shown in the video above (that avoids the blood line and the numerous bones, even if it makes the fillets quite small).

https://theculturetrip.com/slovakia...tern-europeans-celebrate-christmas-with-carp/

You'd thing immediately bleeding them before the ice would be advantageous. That way the blood line would be very small.

You'd thing immediately bleeding them before the ice would be advantageous. That way the blood line would be very small.
I bleed a lot of species of fish I catch, especially pelagic and oily fleshed fish, it makes a huge difference to the quality of the flesh for freezing and the taste.

Reminds me of taking a student from Germany for dinner with a Namibian farming family. He raved about the delicious meat meal. Later he made the comment that "incredible, I heard that some people even eat warthog" Silence.

Different countries, different customs...but it usually relates to the method of preparation. I used to feast on prickly pear in southern Africa - sold in all greengrocers - and the farmers made a delicious drink from it. Have never been offered that here.
A friend of mine was invited to a meal in a village in Vietnam. He found the meat tasty but with an unusual flavour and asked what kind of meat it was.
The reply was "Duck".
Since my friend was an experienced duck shooter but didn't recognise the flavour he asked what kind of duck it was. His host pointed outside to where a mangy dog was scratching itself and said, "Duk, Duk, Duk."

I bleed a lot of species of fish I catch, especially pelagic and oily fleshed fish, it makes a huge difference to the quality of the flesh for freezing and the taste.
Yes, used to bleed the kingfish and remove the glands from behind the pectoral fins. What we call Kingfish in WA, I think they are a different fish in the East?

A friend of mine was invited to a meal in a village in Vietnam. He found the meat tasty but with an unusual flavour and asked what kind of meat it was.
The reply was "Duck".
Since my friend was an experienced duck shooter but didn't recognise the flavour he asked what kind of duck it was. His host pointed outside to where a mangy dog was scratching itself and said, "Duk, Duk, Duk."
Should be pointed out that it's not just any dog, the dogs are bred for eating. My wife is Viet and has never had dog but has eaten rat ..................... all just protein at the end f the day

Should be pointed out that it's not just any dog, the dogs are bred for eating. My wife is Viet and has never had dog but has eaten rat ..................... all just protein at the end f the day
Reminds me of the novel, King Rat"
In that book prisonersof war in Changi Prison Camp secretly bred rats which they sold to officers for extra food. They said they were rusa tikas (dwarf deer).
Diginit's comment adds credibility to the story.

Latest posts