Easter Travelers to Dunolly...Help Out a Member

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all... just a last hope call out for any members that may have been around or near the Garibaldi mine (Dunolly) over this long weekend.

A mate of mine from here has misplaced a turbo pan and iirc 1/8th" (3mm?) grade mesh screen/classifier. Had been working a reef, went back to camp for a break, and upon return, his gear was MIA....

Just hoping a helpful member here was on the scene and we can get his gear back to him.... (he's had hard times and i'd like to see him right).

Fingers crossed on a slim chance... 8)

When you say he went back to camp, do you mean a few hundred meters away or got in the car and drove for a bit?

If someone found stuff lying there and no evidence of anyone around or any activity it could easily be considered forgotton.

I left a nice gas lantern when camping once, hanging on a tree branch, only remembered when 4 hours away, it wasn't worth the drive going back.
About a month later I was there again....... guess what? No lantern.
I honestly don't blame that person for taking it, it would have easily been considered forgotten, and I was silly to leave it there in a public area, very different if it was on my lawn or back of ute though.

It does suck but the bush is just like a suburban park, if you leave things there it will get picked up.
Essentially that's what a lot of detectorists do if you think about it.
Misplaced rings, coins etc

Still sucks and probably put a downer on the trip.

If he is in melb east let me know as I have some spare stuff.

Thanks guys for the support and explanations, i will pass it on to him to decide the course of action.

The gear was down inside a 70' x 25'x 20'(deep) quartz reef cutting... he went by vehicle a few hundred metres to his camp nearby for a feed, i left about an hour and a half later. I had a quick check where he was working, but didn't notice it there myself, but he says it was away from where he was hammering, so it likely was there, just missed.

Another prospector with me also looked around the entry point used for any gear while i was checking the work area, and he also didn't see it in plain view...

Damn mystery, and i know it is/was a longshot posting...stranger results have occurred. :Y: ;)

Hopeful (fingers crossed) ]:D

You might have just not seen it!
The one I got from miners den is an olive drab green, that would easily blend into the landscape.
I personally think they suck bum, so your mate is welcome to it.

They do actually work very well when you know how to use them, but high volume stuff suits a banker, not a pan.
If you are happy standing in the water thrashing about like a really energetic person, then they are great, and they really do work well if used properly, I just don't like them.

I haven't been in touch with him for a few days, so don't know what he's missing the most, the pan, or the screen... :D

Have passed on the offers and directed him to the thread, so i will back out now and allow him to comment. :Y:

Gypsy

yeah I left it about 600m off Dunolly Maryborough road just before you come to sydoium hill on the left if going from Maryborough going into Dunolly next to some reef workings yes I know I shouldn't have left it there etc. etc. But what I was doing was digging out boulders of quartz as big as a small table I had only left it unattended for about an hour or so gypsy and his mate Patrick went detecting around the area but away from where I had left it I guess when its so close to a main road you expect sh.t to go missing and being on the local metal detecting maps its sure to be a well gone over area daily.

Mate you are welcome to mine, I'll chuck in a bcf bait sifter/classifier.

Bigwave I see you put a like on it. Haha you just dobbed yourself into delivering it. You can pass it on next time you meet up.

Occasional_panner said:
Mate you are welcome to mine, I'll chuck in a bcf bait sifter/classifier.

Bigwave I see you put a like on it. Haha you just dobbed yourself into delivering it. You can pass it on next time you meet up.

but then you won't have a pan ?

Occasional_panner said:
What "like"? Unfortunately, my next outing will be following our return from FNQ - probably sometime in June/July.

Occasional_panner said:
Cheeky bugger! you took your like off :lol:

OK anyone else going from melb east to the GT give me a yell.

Post #3 still has 'like' where you offer 'stuff' tho... :p ;) :eek: ]:D

He he...sorry BW, you will get me back lmao.

Latest posts