4500 Making A Ticking Sound?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markgoldhunter

mark johnston
Reaction score
Had a mate come over yesterday with a problem with his older 4500. It was making a ticking sound coming through the headphones sounding like an electric fence shorting out on wet grass, so we packed all my spares into the car and went out for some tests. So first up we did a factory reset, no change, then swapped the curly cord still no change next was the headphones still this ticking going on, I should mention here that the machine was still registering targets and otherwise performing as normal. So next on the list was the coil, 12'' Evo, swapped that for my 8'' commander, still no change. We decided it must be the unit and had resigned ourselves to having it sent back for a check up. As we were close to some of my in ground targets I suggested to my mate he might like to here my 5000 on them so I whipped out that machine and plugged into the gear we were using and there it was again that blasted ticking. It was the battery, the only thing we had overlooked. So that piece of luck saved him the hassle of sending his machine back to Minelab and it coming back with no problem found. So there stick that in the back of your mind for sometime in the future if your machine starts ticking, check the battery first. Hope this helps some one out sometime.

Cheers Mark.

It will probably be the amplifier on the circuit board in the battery box.
I had the same issue a few years ago. It's an easy fix to bypass the problem
Cut the red and black wires off the board and the blue and green wires as well . Then join the red to green and black to yellow.
That should fix the problem
Also try to charge the battery only on 12 v and disconnect as it is charged

Latest posts