Earthquakes Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like Vanuatu might be the centre of is with a 6.0 and Ecuador had a 5.8.
Southeast Loyalty Islands (300 km east of Noumea).

If you consider that the plates move against each other (and one beneath the other) at 3 to 5 cm per year, it is not surprising that we get lots of quakes. At any one spot there may be no quake for ten years and the stress builds up - then you get the 70 cm taken up in a single movement.

You need to watch those magnitudes - it is the magnitude at the epicentre of the quake that matters, it mikght be hundreds of Km from where you feel the quake and 15 km below surface. For example I was in a 7.0 in Darwin - except that was at the epicentre in the Timor Sea (probably only 4.5 in Darwin itself). It still knocked out Darwin power station for hours and made me run down the fire escape holding my trousers in one hand. When I came back 30 minutes later they were still trying to get out the people who took the lift. Sometimes geological knowledge helps....

G'Day RR

I have enough Butane and Propane to last a good 2 years.

Does this mean you have a bit of experience with B & P

I would like to get a stock pile myself

I bought a -> Thermacell Mosquito Repellent - 70% Butane / 30% Propane Mix bottles - to stop the mozzies

They say I cannot use anything but the 'special' bottles that come with the Thermacell !!!

What du reckon ?

G'Day RR

Does this mean you have a bit of experience with B & P

I would like to get a stock pile myself

I bought a -> Thermacell Mosquito Repellent - 70% Butane / 30% Propane Mix bottles - to stop the mozzies

They say I cannot use anything but the 'special' bottles that come with the Thermacell !!!

What du reckon ?
Sorry it's So Long winded but you need to know the facts. Sorry about that.

The person who told you that Knows Nothing about Butane and Propane,

The Only differance between Butane and Propane when it comes to running Gas Stoves and Lanterns ect Is Butane won't Gas below -2*c Where as Propane is good down to -42*c + / -. So they Blend the 2 Gases Together to Adjust the Temperature Rating, and In Europe they Also Add Chemicals to Diesel to stop it from Gelling in the Fuel line of a Vehicle So it can be used in temps of around -15*c/-20*c Where as Pertol is Naturally Good for temps Down to -44 to -60*c And AV Gas / Jet / Helicopter fuel is Good for about -47*c

All Those Numbers Mean is that it is suited to be used down to around -17/-18*c

Where 70 / 30 is good for Temps down to about -18*c

QUOTE:-

Product Description​

6 x Coleman Valve Cartridge C500 with compact dimensions
The Coleman as cartridge features an enhanced mix of high-performance gases - butane/propane mix (70/30) and enhanced technology, created for use in more extreme conditions - providing a steady and consistent burn across a wide range of temperatures at lower altitudes making it ideal for more general use. The cartridge is ideal for the more adventurous trekker or explorer offering fast and reliable boil times even in very cold temperatures.
The cartridge incorporates a standard screw-on attachment making it an ideal fuel source for Coleman camping stoves and lanterns as well as many other manufacturer's devices. Featuring Coleman's double safety seal resealable valve the cartridge can be disconnected and reconnected to your appliance in complete safety without leakage.
You can operate devices from the following Coleman ranges: Fyrestorm, Fyrelite, Fyrepower and F1 lite lantern.
Valve cartridges can be easily removed from the device, even if they have not been completely emptied. Ideal when you need to operate multiple devices with a single cartridge.

• Only use with Coleman devices.

Manufacturer's Description​

Coleman combine high quality materials, experience and a quest to offer products that focus on your comfort, convenience and performance, wherever your adventure takes you.

And 60 / 40 is good for -27*c,

QUOTE:-

Product description​

Coleman C300 Xtreme Valve Cartridge with compact dimensions

The Coleman C300 Xtreme gas cartridge features an advanced mix of high-performance gases - butane/propane mix (60/40 percent) and advanced technology, created for use in more extreme conditions.

The Xtreme cartridge is ideal for the more adventurous trekker or explorer offering fast and reliable boil times even in very cold temperatures, even continuing to function as low as -27 degrees Celsius.

The cartridge incorporates a standard screw-on attachment making it an ideal fuel source for Coleman camping stoves and lanterns as well as many other manufacturer's devices.

Featuring Coleman's double safety seal resealable valve the cartridge can be disconnected and reconnected to your appliance in complete safety without leakage.

You can operate devices from the following Coleman ranges: Fyrestorm, Fyrelite, Fyrepower and F1 lite lantern.

Valve cartridges can be easily removed from the device, even if they have not been completely emptied. Ideal when you need to operate multiple devices with a single cartridge. End Quote

Here 's a Q&A from a Gas Company,

FOR PROPANE,

What low temperature will my propane bottle stop working at?​

When it comes to LPG people get confused by Freezing point and Boiling point of LPG.
Basically put, The boiling point is where the liquid LPG in the gas bottle boils off to produce a vapour gas. This depends on the gas type used in the bottle, the ambient in bottle and outside temperature, the moisture in the air, the amount of gas being drawn from the bottle and even the material the bottle is made from, will all have an impact to how much gas vapour is boiled off / produced inside the bottle.
For Propane gas, the freezing point is around -188 degrees Celsius ( what it feels like when you get liquid LPG on your Skin!!! ), but the boiling point of Propane is -42 degrees Celsius which is the important temperature for the users of the gas, so your red Propane gas cylinder will work more effectively in much colder weather compared to a blue butane gas bottles.
If you want a gas bottle that will work in lower temperatures you will need to run a red Propane exchange type or better still fit a GAS IT refillable which is easier to use, can be easily filled in other countries who sell Autogas.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=60
AND Here Is Whaat They Say About Butane.

What low temperature will my butane bottle stop working at?​

When it comes to LPG people get confused by Freezing point and boiling point.
For butane gas, the freezing point is around -140 degrees Celsius, but the boiling point of butane is -2 degrees Celsius so your blue butane gas cylinder might not work as effectively in colder weather as low temperatures make it difficult to produce gas vapour.
Basically put we need a higher ambient outside temperature to boil the liquid gas off in the bottle to allow it to change to a vapour.
If you want a gas bottle that will work in lower temperatures change your gas bottle to a red exchange type or better still a GAS IT refillable.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=59

Last edited:
Another Differance is Propane is made from Natural Gas Refinning and sometimes Crude Oil refinement.

And Butane comes from Comes from Crude Oil Refining,

And Butane is ment to be safer for indoor use,

Southeast Loyalty Islands (300 km east of Noumea).

If you consider that the plates move against each other (and one beneath the other) at 3 to 5 cm per year, it is not surprising that we get lots of quakes. At any one spot there may be no quake for ten years and the stress builds up - then you get the 70 cm taken up in a single movement.

Another Differance is Propane is made from Natural Gas Refinning and sometimes Crude Oil refinement.

And Butane comes from Comes from Crude Oil Refining,

And Butane is ment to be safer for indoor use,
Yep got all the gear RR except what you will really need probably if the proverbial hits .............................. no fresh air to breathe :eek::confused:🤣🤣
Back to the preppers draw board :oops:

G'Day GR

I think the recent 'assault' at the Oscars was really good acting, so if you think I'm being rude asking about your movements it is all toilet talk, so I have added a little humor at the bottom to litten the load :)

I'm not sure what you comment has to do with Earth Quakes or suriving them, or having the where withall to survive an earth quake, ??

Sorry but you have lost me, ??

Last edited:

Latest posts